The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Backlash from UnRest

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by lllamamom, Jan 30, 2018.

1. lllamamom

lllamamom

So, trying to advocate for myself, I called a doctor to talk about being my GP and creating a possible treatment plan for the ME. I no sooner mentioned ME than I got yapped at, that "That darned movie is fiction, and has caused more trouble by making bored people think they're ill".

After I recovered from the shock of such ignorance, I countered with WHO guidelines, NIH guidelines, NHS guidelines, and Mayo Clinic. Then I pointed out he'd never seen me. I actively worked on a ranch, picking up hay bales, running the tractor, taking care of animals, and running a successful business beside. I then also pointed out, because he was already on my LIST <G> that I had trained multiple years as a certified veterinary nurse, and knew how to state differentials.

I didn't let him get another word in edgewise. I apologized for his ignorance of current medical trends, asked after his leeches, and hung up.

I was afraid this would happen, darn it. Anyone else hit this concrete wall?

ahmo, panckage, Silencio and 17 others like this.
  2. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    So “bored people”
    Mean that they are getting hit by non patients ( too many?) or the old patients calling back?.. would be interesting to know why you got a reaction. Are they bothered by the volume of calls?,,...

3. lllamamom

lllamamom

I suspect some of each. I also suspect he is one of the sadly high number of doctors that in years past denied the existence of CFS, condemning so many of us to the shadows. Why so many doctors refuse to expand their knowledge is beyond me.

lemonworld, Mel9, Countrygirl and 3 others like this.
  4. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I saw a similar comment the other day. It's mind-boggling - truly - the depth of doctors' willful ignorance and stupidity. There's no excuse for this. It makes me wonder what exactly doctors are taught in medical school and how deeply are they brainwashed. It's nauseating to say the least.

Jessrose21, Murph, lemonworld and 9 others like this.
  5. lllamamom

lllamamom

I can tell you from the vet tech point of view: the very good veterinary school near me is only now, despite years of evidence, exploring the use of essential oils, acupuncture, and other alternatives. When I tried to comfort an animal with a tiny sniff of essential oil about 10 years ago, I was told that it was illegal, useless.

I frankly think much of the blame lies with insurance companies. "That's not standard treatment". How many of us, with multiple symptoms, end up going to multiple, multiple doctors, but not one puts the entire picture together to get an accurate diagnosis? Or the dreaded "that's not covered".....

sb4 and RWP (Rest without Peace) like this.
  6. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Yet another example to support the use of audio (or video) recording of interactions with health care workers.

Not just to capture the actual patient blaming for proof of negligence / ignorance / imcompetence, but in this instance, your awesome on-the-spot response.

Its not so different from police officers wearing body cameras. The incidence of police brutality plummets. If health care workers were required to do the same (privacy concerns aside), the iatrogenic harm we experience would be much reduced.

Silencio, Mel9, Mary and 5 others like this.
  7. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Wow @lllamamom, kudos to you! :thumbsup: Could you go with me to my next ignorant doctor visit? ;):angel:

Mel9, Mary, Gingergrrl and 4 others like this.
  8. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    The doctor started a verbal knife fight without realizing that lllamamom was armed with a bazooka. :)

lllamamom, Mel9, Mary and 2 others like this.
  9. Kenny Banya

Kenny Banya Senior Member

Australia
    Cognitive Dissonance
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Mel9 and lllamamom like this.
  10. lllamamom

lllamamom

Sure! And as for being armed with a bazooka, PatJ, nah--just a handy flamethrower :p Through the years, either for the kids or myself, I've had to fight idiot doctors. I've gotten fairly good at snowing them, if nothing else. Start asking "what about ....." and use the TECHNICAL term, even if you had to look it up and write it down.

I will credit a doctor the family had way back, when the youngest was just 4. After 8 ear infections in 4 months, I looked at him, said "this is allergies, I don't CARE what the scratch test said--it's often inaccurate if the stress is high". He sent her to an allergist that tested with drops under the tongue. BINGO! Got our answers, she got healthy. The doctor, bless him, then asked if I wanted to learn how to listen to lungs, check ears, sinuses, etc. Of course I said yes. I learned, advocated for the kids with schools and such, and probably scared a few folks because I only turned pale and shook AFTER everything was comparatively calm.

PatJ, Mel9 and Wayne like this.

See more popular forum discussions.