1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Back from my trip to see Dr Kogelnik

Discussion in 'ME/CFS Doctors' started by Scavo86, Sep 1, 2012.

1. RUkiddingME

RUkiddingME Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks for sharing those results and sharing your experience!! I'm from Canada and contemplating a trip to see Dr. K. Wow $2000 seems pricey for that amount of bloodwork. Can you tell us the cost of the initial consult and follow up skype consults? It's painful without insurance isn't it! lol I can't wait to hear how your skype interview goes and the follow up long distance treatment in general goes. Good luck and looking forward to hearing more about your experience. Thanks! :)
  2. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    The HHV-6 Foundation and Dr. Montoya (and others) would not consider that HHV-6 (if that is what the first sample is) do not consider that high of elevated IgG to be be a "Past Infection", but that is more than likely a preset in the lab reporting system. I see the reason for his AV treatment scenario

Wishing the best in your health and your decisions in treatment.
  3. Scavo86

Scavo86 Senior Member

England
    Dr K really knows his stuff and so I would certainly recommend him RUkiddingME - the initial consultation was around about £300, I don't know what exactly that is in dollars, and Dr K was kind enough to do the Skype follow up as part of that initial fee. As I said on another thread I will be waiting until 2013 to kick off treatment in earnest, just trying to sort out the joys of finances, you know how it is :)
  4. RUkiddingME

RUkiddingME Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks Scavo and looking forward to following your posts in 2013! Good luck :)
  5. HTree

HTree

northeast
    Looking at your labs, seems like antivirals at least for HSV 1 is a good idea. And your NK cell function is very low, like mine! Was Imunovir suggested--does Dr. K use it?

I too started it all off after glandular fever/mono. Now have EBV, HHV-6 high and low NK cell function (4). maybe lyme as well.

Curious about Rituxan-- this was offered just because yours started with glandular fever?
    that was not mentioned for me...(just AVs and immunovir)

Best of luck with choosing and treatment-
    Htree
  6. Scavo86

Scavo86 Senior Member

England
    I am going to go with the Valcyte HTree - but not having it until 2014 likely, as I am trying to save up in the meantime. I don't know about the Rituxan, but it kind of seems to have gone a little quiet on that front and I think an AV would be a better bet as a first line treatment. I believe I was offered it, not just because I had mine triggered by GF, but because I am relatively young (26) and don't mind the risk associated with it.

I don't know if Dr K uses imunovir, but it wasn't mentioned at all, so my gut reaction would be no.

Do you see Dr K?
    heapsreal likes this.
  7. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
    I was thinking about going to law school a while before I got sick. Aside from the cost, and the correct statement about "law school in the US is almost completely irrelevant to the practice of law," I also got the idea that the job market looked less than promising. I recall reading something to the effect that "most restaurants in Los Angeles and New York prefer their waiters to have a JD."
  8. HTree

HTree

northeast

Hi Scavo86 , interesting, I'm 31...but that option was never menitioned (i've been sick a long time though, though to a lesser degree than the last 2 years).. Now at 3 on the scales. Anyway, I see the other Dr. K/her partner in Florida :)
    Good luck with Valcyte!! make sure you do the liver panels etc regularly..
  9. Scavo86

Scavo86 Senior Member

England
    Oh cool HTree - at that age I feel you definitely still have hope :) although your Dr K is Klimas and my Dr K is Kogelnik, lol.

See more popular forum discussions.