Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Babesiosis - Combination therapy cures tick-borne illness in mice

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Combination therapy cures tick-borne illness in mice
    Yale News
    June 6th 2016
    http://news.yale.edu/2016/06/06/combination-therapy-cures-tick-borne-illness-mice

merylg, duncan, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Research paper.

Radical cure of experimental babesiosis in immunodeficient mice using a combination of an endochin-like quinolone and atovaquone.
    Lauren A. Lawres, Aprajita Garg, Vidya Kumar, Igor Bruzual, Isaac P. Forquer, Isaline Renard, Azan Z. Virji, Pierre Boulard, Eduardo X. Rodriguez, Alexander J. Allen, Sovitj Pou, Keith W. Wegmann, Rolf W. Winter, Aaron Nilsen, Jialing Mao, Douglas A. Preston, Alexia A. Belperron, Linda K. Bockenstedt, David J. Hinrichs, Michael K. Riscoe, J. Stone Doggett, and Choukri Ben Mamoun.
    http://jem.rupress.org/content/early/2016/06/06/jem.20151519.abstract

merylg, duncan and MEMum like this.
  3. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Wow! Hope it works in humans, too.

Justin30 and Bob like this.
  4. msf

msf Senior Member

Interesting stuff - looks like combination therapy is not just needed for chronic Lyme but for its co-infections too.

5. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Out of curiosity, why do they test this treatment on mice with immunodeficiency? Is this normal protocol?

What about testing in both immunodeficient mice and mice with normal immune systems? It might be related to the subset of me/cfs patients who are immunodeficient. Or not?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  6. Vasha

Vasha Senior Member

Hi @barbc56 -

This is a guess as to why they picked immunodeficient mice, but babesiosis can be very serious, including causing death, for people who are immunodeficient. (E.g. on cancer therapy, on strong immunosuppressants, etc. rather than the less acute immunodeficiency seen in ME).

-Vasha

7. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Linda Bockenstedt is one of the authors. Many Lyme patients take issue with some of her stances.

Babesia used to be Peter Krauses territory (one of the IDSA Guidelines forces), but I think he has been spending a lot of time trying to nail down Miyamotoi. Maybe Bockenstedt is assuming more of the babesia efforts.

They all pretty much share the same watering hole anyway.

8. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I edited my post as I left out a word. I meant to say to mice with and without immunodeficiency and not human subjects. As you say, that would be disastrous for patients!

Vasha likes this.
  9. Vasha

Vasha Senior Member

Oh, ha ha (not the disaster for patients but the misunderstanding. :) )

No, I understood what you meant @barbc56 - I was trying to say that maybe they picked immunodeficient mice rather than regular mice as a better model for immunodeficient people . . . since babesiosis in immunodeficient people is a big concern.

As to why not test both immunodeficient mice and normal mice . . . maybe cost. Knock-out/model lab animals are expensive.

All speculation, regardless. :)

-Vasha

barbc56 likes this.
  10. msf

msf Senior Member

They may have chosen immunodeficient mice because immunocompetent mice might clear the infection straightaway, giving them nothing to study.

11. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

That sounds logical. I wonder if the mice who are not immunodeficient are injected with lyme vs. those who are to see if there is more of a long term effect with the mice who are immunodeficient.But that would be more about contacting lyme. I guess this could eventually study treatment based on these results.

Take this with a grain of salt. I get confused when it comes to the immune system. If anyone has a good but short summary, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Btw, if you haven't seen this, the whole issue of using mice for experiences is a conspiracy. By the mice. There's nothing about tooting your own horn. It was pure coincidence that I found the site as I wasn't looking for related information. I looked at my computer history and still can't figure out how I found it!

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...s-a-front-for-psychosocial-experiments.45132/

Also, Paul McCartney has been dead since 1966! It must be true as I read it on the Internet!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

See more popular forum discussions.