• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B2 in the form of riboflavin-5-phosphate and urine color

I have used regular B2 (between 50-100mg) on and off for the past 2 years. When I did, my urine was always much darker, which I know is considered normal. About 5 days ago I started taking coenzymated B2 (50mg), and I have noticed that the color of my urine is a normal color or pretty close. Could this be because my body was able to use it efficiently, instead of dumping what it couldn't use? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hip

What color is the riboflavin-5′-phosphate powder in the capsule?

Hip

The powder is an orangish color.

So presumably the R5P would also color urine yellow if it were not absorbed by the body.

According to this article:
Among healthy individuals, approximately 95% of consumed dietary riboflavin is absorbed, up to a maximum of about 25 mg/day. At that point, absorption reaches a plateau and plasma concentrations are at their highest.

So if you are taking say 100 mg riboflavin tablets, 75 mg is going to be dumped in the urine anyway.

So presumably the R5P would also color urine yellow if it were not absorbed by the body.

According to this article:

So if you are taking say 100 mg riboflavin tablets, 75 mg is going to be dumped in the urine anyway.

Thanks for the information. I'm guessing since I'm not really a "healthy individual" that my body used most of the 50 mg and that is why the urine was not dark.

bjl218

That's a great article @Hip. But what's still not clear to me about B2 is whether taking the co-enzymated form (FMN) is sufficient or whether you really need to take non-coenzymated riboflavin in order for it to be converted to both FAD and FMN. Would you happen to have an opinion on that?