• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B2 I love you!

Vegas

Vegas are you saying the B2 initially caused a lot of oxidative stress?
I guess eating antioxidant rich fruit should help.

I didn't have the bright yellow urine the first day either. Was the second
day I think.

Yes, mobilized iron can greatly increase overall reactive oxygen species.

Same here no bright yellow on first day, medium shade by day two, neon yellow thereafter...just like it always has been with B complex.

anne_likes_red

Hi Roxie, I'm sorry I missed this.

No, not ear ringing. High doese of the methylB12 often gave me a kind of stimulatory buzz (not exactly unpleasant) in the front of my forehead.

Anne.

when u say head buzzing do yo mean ear ringing?

hixxy

Hi Roxie, I'm sorry I missed this.

No, not ear ringing. High doese of the methylB12 often gave me a kind of stimulatory buzz (not exactly unpleasant) in the front of my forehead.

Anne.

I get this same thing. SPECT showed massive functional problems in the frontal lobe.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Seems I'm getting both the benefits of GSH recycling (GSH reductase) and perhaps the short-term detriments of the oxidoreductase reaction, which I presume is what Christine is referring to as I believe this enzyme can induce mobilization of iron, especially from the liver. What a trip.
If I understood correctly, Christine thinks that mobilizing too much iron can cause oxidative stress. She thinks this is very bad and should be avoided by keeping the B2 does somewhat low - 12.5 to 25 mg. That amount can be taken multiple times a day if it does not cause any negative symptoms.

Gavman

'B2 also provides energy to the body. People who exercise daily are actually losing B2 by using up their supply of the vitamin.'
'Riboflavin is mainly involved in energy metabolism.' http://vitamins.lovetoknow.com/Vitamin_B_and_Weight_Loss

I thought a few of the hardcore exercise junkies like myself would be interested in this. So far i think the B vitamin race is being won by B12, B6, then Folic Acid - Thiamin, Riboflavin and Niacin are tied. Just saying. :p

dmholmes

I have been taking B2 now for 4 days. 75mg in divided
doses. First day I felt a very warm feeling in my back area
which I think is a copper or iron detox. I had lots of brain
fog and my stools the first 2 days were very smelly. These
are good signs

Unfortunately the last 2 days I have been sleeping a lot! Like
12-13 hours straight. It doesn't feel like I am detoxing at this
moment, but I still have this sleepy feeling. Pretty sure my
liver is being overtaxed. I am going to stop the b2 for one
day and then start at a much lower dosage.

Untill now I haven't read Christine's reasoning for adding
B2. I did read here thoughts on manganese and choline
and its influence on the liver's Endoplasmic Reticulum(spelling?).
How did she find out about b2 deficiency?

Another thing I don't see being addressed is what influence
taking manganese has on other minerals. I read that
manganese has a antagonistic and synergistic effect on
chromium. I know from experience that chromium is antagonistic
to copper.

And what about B2 depleting other vitamins? I think at this moment
it would be better not to continue this protocol as there is too little
information.

I registered on the new hairanalysis forum, but still can't post there.
I get this when I try to login:

''The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator.''

The forum administrator contacted me via my hotmail address asking why
I haven't posted. Funny thing is I can't reply as the email address is unknown,
so I can't reply to this message without knowing who to reply to. This is the
first time I have received an email that does not contain the email address of
mailer.

I hope somebody can get in contact with Christine about these and
other questions.

There really isn't a protocol, everybody working with Christine has a different schedule for supplements based on their hair test.

Rand56

Hi all

I know I have not posted in awhile but I stopped taking the B-2 about 4 or 5 weeks ago. My atypical low dopamine/NE depression was getting worse and my energy levels depleted even more and I was only taking 10mg of R5P twice a day. Not a dramatic noticeable thing at first but it seemed the more time that elapsed, I felt progressively worse. I had done some searching on the internet to see if I can find any clues on why I might be getting this reaction. I'll first say that I don't know for sure that this is what was going on with me and I don't want people to think it's not good for them to take because of all the positive responses some have gotten from adding B-2. Maybe it is not good for me dealing with my type of depression but this is what I found out thru searching. It says that MAO is riboflavin dependent for it's activity. Does anyone know if even that smallest dosage amount I was taking could have that much of an effect on me on my depression? Like I said..I am not totally sure it's the ribflavin but since I stopped it I do feel a a bit better but still dealing with my depression albeit I am trying a higher dosage of curcumin that I have questions on but I'll post that as a seperate thread. Here's the link.....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6765737

richvank

Hi all

I know I have not posted in awhile but I stopped taking the B-2 about 4 or 5 weeks ago. My atypical low dopamine/NE depression was getting worse and my energy levels depleted even more and I was only taking 10mg of R5P twice a day. Not a dramatic noticeable thing at first but it seemed the more time that elapsed, I felt progressively worse. I had done some searching on the internet to see if I can find any clues on why I might be getting this reaction. I'll first say that I don't know for sure that this is what was going on with me and I don't want people to think it's not good for them to take because of all the positive responses some have gotten from adding B-2. Maybe it is not good for me dealing with my type of depression but this is what I found out thru searching. It says that MAO is riboflavin dependent for it's activity. Does anyone know if even that smallest dosage amount I was taking could have that much of an effect on me on my depression? Like I said..I am not totally sure it's the ribflavin but since I stopped it I do feel a a bit better but still dealing with my depression albeit I am trying a higher dosage of curcumin that I have questions on but I'll post that as a seperate thread. Here's the link.....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6765737

Hi, Rand.

I'm sorry to hear about the worsening depression.

Note that B6 and B2 are needed to make dopamine and norepinephrine, while B2 is needed to break it down. If you go too high in B2 while not having enough B6, I think that will lower the levels of these neurotransmitters.

While I agree that a person can be too low in B2, it's also true that they can be too low in other B vitamins, and it's important to have enough of all of them, particularly for the energy metabolism, but also to some degree for the neurotransmitter metabolism as well.

Best regards,

Rich

Rand56

Hi Rich

Thank you for your reply. Back before I knew about Christines theory on B2 I had tried P5P in the past before with no real effect but maybe I was low in B2 so I wasn't getting that synergistic effect. Then Christine was saying about the other B's depleting reserves of B2 and it's best just to get the other B's from food. So if I decided to even try a lower dosage of P5P in combination with B2..wouldn't I be depleting B2 stores even further? This is getting so confusing LOL

dmholmes

Hi Rich

Thank you for your reply. Back before I knew about Christines theory on B2 I had tried P5P in the past before with no real effect but maybe I was low in B2 so I wasn't getting that synergistic effect. Then Christine was saying about the other B's depleting reserves of B2 and it's best just to get the other B's from food. So if I decided to even try a lower dosage of P5P in combination with B2..wouldn't I be depleting B2 stores even further? This is getting so confusing LOL

Hi Rand,

I just wanted to add that riboflavin is only one part of what Christine uses to try and restore energy balance. The supplement schedule is individualized, so you may or may not need much riboflavin and the amount would almost certainly change to balance with the other supplements.

David

richvank

Hi Rich

Hi, Rand.

Yes, it does get confusing. I don't know if it's feasible for you to do some lab testing, but Health Diagnostics and Research Institute in New Jersey does offer individual testing for the B vitamins as well as other vitamins and the essential minerals. If you are able to run some tests, I think you will be able to cut through the confusion and find out what your own status is with respect to these essential nutrients. Otherwise, I think it is kind of hit-or-miss, and as David noted, the situation is not the same for everyone.

Best regards,

Rich

Rand56

hi David

I was actually going to get a hair analysis done thru her than when she left the forum, I thought I had read a post awhile back, that she was not taking on anymore people to run the tests on. Do you or does anyone else know if that is still the case or can I still get one done?

Rand56

Hi, Rand.

Yes, it does get confusing. I don't know if it's feasible for you to do some lab testing, but Health Diagnostics and Research Institute in New Jersey does offer individual testing for the B vitamins as well as other vitamins and the essential minerals. If you are able to run some tests, I think you will be able to cut through the confusion and find out what your own status is with respect to these essential nutrients. Otherwise, I think it is kind of hit-or-miss, and as David noted, the situation is not the same for everyone.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich

Thanks for your suggestion. Do those tests have to be ordered by a doctor? I currently have no health insurance. If not, can I request those tests on my own, and if so, is it a blood test that I would have to go to a place such as Lab Corp to have blood drawn to send it back to them? And if so, do you know how expensive those tests are for someone with no insurance?

dmholmes

hi David

I was actually going to get a hair analysis done thru her than when she left the forum, I thought I had read a post awhile back, that she was not taking on anymore people to run the tests on. Do you or does anyone else know if that is still the case or can I still get one done?

Hi Rand,

I was too late for that round test also. I contacted her through her website to get the test done.

David

Gavman

Rich, I was wondering about the potential for someone low on serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline to possibly have high b6 levels. I noticed i would get bigger headaches taking the b6, yet i am superdosing on the b2. Is it more likely that my b6 would be low? When I take the B2, the headaches come down.

Little Bluestem

Then Christine was saying about the other B's depleting reserves of B2 and it's best just to get the other B's from food. So if I decided to even try a lower dosage of P5P in combination with B2..wouldn't I be depleting B2 stores even further?
I think Christine's advice to get the other B's from food was general 'best method'. It doesn't seem to be working for you. I am extremely depleted in B2 and Christine told me that I would be adding B6 "later". B2 needs manganese to function. People who low in manganese, such as myself, also need to take manganese.

My guess is that you could take B6 without further depleting your B2 if you took enough B2 to interact with the B6 plus extra for other functions. I have no idea how much that would be. I think your best option is some testing to see what is going on with you.

Rand56

I think Christine's advice to get the other B's from food was general 'best method'. It doesn't seem to be working for you. I am extremely depleted in B2 and Christine told me that I would be adding B6 "later". B2 needs manganese to function. People who low in manganese, such as myself, also need to take manganese.

My guess is that you could take B6 without further depleting your B2 if you took enough B2 to interact with the B6 plus extra for other functions. I have no idea how much that would be. I think your best option is some testing to see what is going on with you.

Hi Little Bluestem

I even added in the manganese and didn't seem to help me. I was only taking the 10mg of the gluconate version. I read where manganese can help raise dopamine so I know that is an issue for me. Maybe the manganese OZ water would be better but I really do need to get a hair test thru Christine. This shotgun approach isn't cutting it for me. Unfortunately I just got my haircut and I get it cut short. I'll just have to wait a tad longer.

hixxy

I have horrendous digestion and managed to raise dopamine just fine with oral capsule manganese. It is far from the only cofactor needed for raising dopamine levels.

Little Bluestem

10 mg is more manganese than I am taking in a day. Something else must be absent or interfering.

For the hair sample, you only sent in the 1 - 1.5 inch nearest the scalp. The shorter the hair is, the shorter the time period you will be sampling. I suppose you would want the hair to be long enough to cover the spots where the sample hair was cut. They are not very big.