• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B2 I love you!

brenda

New member Dog Person, has looked at my Doctors Data hair mineral results from a test done two years ago, and told me she thought I had a riboflavin deficiency.

Apparently, it can develop when there is an extra call on it, for example, when synthetic folic acid is not being converted to folate, when using vit C and Vit D.

She also thought that I had a build up of iron in my liver which needs riboflavin to utilize, in fact many processes are dependant on riboflavin.

Because flour products are fortified with folic acid, this is a source of trouble for some/many and many B complexes contain folic acid.

I felt a difference from the first dose of B2. That night I slept for a full 6 hours, had less trouble opening my eyes (dry eye syndrome - one symptom of B2 deficiency) when I woke, I have more energy today and feel somwhat cleaner inside with a lifting of brain fog. My body feels more relaxed and I had a very deep afternoon sleep today.

I am astounded to have such a result in such a short space of time from such a low dose of a vitamin and I have been reassured that I will continue to improve though there will be consequences of circulating iron as it needs to be discharged. It will mean that my body will be better prepared to start the methylation protocol.

I was very sceptical about hair analysis since I heard of others who had differing results from the various labs they sent their hair to, but I am now a convert. Many thanks to Dog Person who will hopefully explain it better.

brenda

Thanks guys.

I have just been reading some interpretation of my Metemetrix OA results and it says that

Dietary fat, carbohydrate, and protein are all broken down to produce
energy using pathways that require vitamin B2 (riboflavin).
If you do not have sufficient riboflavin, compounds such as
adipate, suberate, and ethylmalonate may increase in urine

It says my adipate and suberate are high which means that the B2 deficiency was actually diagnosed then, two years ago but I did not know till now.

I ate too many vegetables yesterday so did not sleep so good so I am going to have to do what Freddd did in reducing them for now.

However, my energy levels are still up and I feel more oxygen in my system and am breathing better. Brain fog is still improving. The funny thing is that I did not have the typical symptoms like sore lips and mouth and I was taking B complex with b2 and eating loads of vegetables including juicing them. In fact I was on a perfect organic diet with little alcohol and no sugar yet I still developed B2 deficiency.

Hi Brenda,

Thought I'd add too your thread quickly. From my working with B2, I've seen that the other B vitamins rely on B2 to be activated or converted or used correctly. So by taking the B complex and juicing which concentrates nutrientes (but not much B2 in veggies compared to the other B's) you kept slowly depleting your storage locations of B2.

The other bad thing about taking a complex is that you can absorb the several thousands of % of the other B's they put in them. But you can only absorb a fraction of the B2 so the complex itself is unbalanced.

brenda

Hi Dog Person

Yes I see that now. Its unbelieveable that eating so many vegetables a day - about 12-15 portions, would lead me to become sicker. Would you say that taking a complex and adding small doses of B2 through the day would be ok?

I am so pleased that I got this issue sorted out before I started the protocol, as I can see that it would not have helped me. I wonder how many others who are not progressing have the B2 problem.

Rand56

Hi Brenda,

Thought I'd add too your thread quickly. From my working with B2, I've seen that the other B vitamins rely on B2 to be activated or converted or used correctly. So by taking the B complex and juicing which concentrates nutrientes (but not much B2 in veggies compared to the other B's) you kept slowly depleting your storage locations of B2.

The other bad thing about taking a complex is that you can absorb the several thousands of % of the other B's they put in them. But you can only absorb a fraction of the B2 so the complex itself is unbalanced.

hi Dog Person

I always seem to feel worse taking a B Complex. Do you think it's possible, or maybe even probable, that if a person feels worse taking a B complex that person is more likely to be deficient in B-2 because you are already overwhelming low storage supplies of it by the higher absorption rates of the other B's that depend on B-2 for their functions?

Hanna

Thanks guys.

I have just been reading some interpretation of my Metemetrix OA results and it says that

Dietary fat, carbohydrate, and protein are all broken down to produce
energy using pathways that require vitamin B2 (riboflavin).
If you do not have sufficient riboflavin, compounds such as
adipate, suberate, and ethylmalonate may increase in urine

It says my adipate and suberate are high which means that the B2 deficiency was actually diagnosed then, two years ago but I did not know till now.

I ate too many vegetables yesterday so did not sleep so good so I am going to have to do what Freddd did in reducing them for now.

However, my energy levels are still up and I feel more oxygen in my system and am breathing better. Brain fog is still improving. The funny thing is that I did not have the typical symptoms like sore lips and mouth and I was taking B complex with b2 and eating loads of vegetables including juicing them. In fact I was on a perfect organic diet with little alcohol and no sugar yet I still developed B2 deficiency.

Hi Brenda,
I find your experience very interesting, and would like to know how I can find wether I am B2 deficient. You quoted a Metametrix OA. What is it exactly? Which is according to you the best lab test to do in order to fix the problem? Thanks for your answer
Hanna

Lou

New posts by Rand 56 and Hanna are not showing up on thread for me. My computer or forum problem. Guess this won't show up either if it's one or the other, lol.

brenda

Rand 56

If you don`t mind me answering for Dog Person as she is busy answering a lot of questions due to the hair mineral analysis` she has been helping with - the answer is yes.

Hanna

It is the Metametrix Organic Acids profile which I had done 2 years ago and which needs a doctors consent. However it is terribly expensive. A hair mineral analysis is a lot cheaper and maybe you can ask Dog Person about it. Or you can just go ahead and do a trial.

Brenda

Rand56

hi Brenda

Thank you for your reply. I didn't know I was on the right track asking what I did but it seemed to make sense to me. I'm gonna trial B-2 on it's own to see if it can help. So glad to hear you are seeing positives from taking it yourself.

brenda

Rand56

I think that you or anyone who wishes to give B2 a trial should speak first to Dog Person as there is a possibility that iron stored in the liver due to the deficiency could be released too quickly for the body to cope with comfortably. I dont see anything wrong with adding B2 to what you are already doing but to address the deficiency correctly, I think you need Dog Person to direct you.

richvank

Hi, Hanna.

The European Laboratory of Nutrients in the Netherlands (and its subsidiary, the Health Diagnostics and Research Institute in New Jersey, USA) offer direct tests for riboflavin (vitamin B2) in the blood plasma as well as a functional test using the erythrocyte glutathione reductase (EGR) reaction to look at the active form of B2. They also measure other vitamins, and have combined panels for measuring them. The urine organic acids tests also give indirect evidence about the level of vitamin B2, as Brenda wrote. High glutaric acid on the Great Plains OAT or on the Genova Diagnostic Metabolic Analysis Profile indicates low B2. There are also some other markers on these and the Metametrix Organix profile that are less definitive indicators of low B2.

Best regards,

Rich

Rich,

Glutathioine reductase is not a reliabel marker for low B2. If you test low, then it is certain you are low in B2, but if you test normal, this is not necessarity positive for low B2.

And Brenda, you already are methylating - if you weren't you would not feel good energy. So you do not need to "follow the methylation protocol" of taking additional supplement, your body is doing that for you from the good foods you are eating. Remember I wrote you that you never need more than your daily requirements for vitamins that your body does not store? Only the stored ones will require being placed back into storage - slowly.

Research was conducted for people that produce energy only need very small amounts of those nutrients unless you are participating in high levels of exercise like marathon training.

And a golden rule of nutrition is - always vary what you eat every day. There are so many micro nutrients in foods that we don't even know of yet - so by eating a variety of things and varying them keeps you from swaying the balance of nutrients only one way.

Rand56

Rand56

I think that you or anyone who wishes to give B2 a trial should speak first to Dog Person as there is a possibility that iron stored in the liver due to the deficiency could be released too quickly for the body to cope with comfortably. I dont see anything wrong with adding B2 to what you are already doing but to address the deficiency correctly, I think you need Dog Person to direct you.

What kind of reactions would one expect if iron is released too quickly from the liver? Due to B-2's relationship with iron...could a high serum ferritin level correlate to a possible B-2 deficiency? I had my ferritin checked a few years back and it was a bit on the high side. I can't remember exactly what it was...but somewhere in the low 70'ish comes to mind..but I could be wrong.

Regarding a B complex. There are way too many of the B's you don't store in your body, that are contained in a complex. And by taking all of them, as soon as they are absorbed, B2 activates them so that lowers the B2. Then the body realizes you don't need that quantity of them and you urinate them away. So you do not get any benefit of additional B's that aren't stored and you only tax the B2 storage locations in your body.

Rand,

This is what I'm working on for everyone to read in great detail as I stated before - it is quite complicated. But very quickly, since I don't mean to make anything sound mysterious:

If you have a high ferritin it is reflective that you have very high stores of iron in the liver. Same can be true of a very low ferritin - which I had and was actually more serious than a high ferritin. The hair charts show that the liver is malfunctioning at manufacturing adquate amounts of the carrier protein (transferrin) for iron and the carrier proteins for copper (ceruloplasmin, hepcidin) and binding those minerals to them.

What people are already feeling the effect of, with various symptoms (like excess mucus which the body can place unbound iron into so you can extrete it from the body) is unbound circulating iron and/or copper. It can irritate nerves, upset the mind, go into the skin and cause itching, congest you, make your eyes tear, uncrease bile production to chelate it from the liver which can cause acid reflux and intestinal irritation. What I've observed is that whatever iron is already doing to your specific body that feels bad, is pretty much what you will feel when you release more than your liver can bind when you take B2 which allows it to come out.

Hope that helps for now.

Hanna

Rand 56

If you don`t mind me answering for Dog Person as she is busy answering a lot of questions due to the hair mineral analysis` she has been helping with - the answer is yes.

Hanna

It is the Metametrix Organic Acids profile which I had done 2 years ago and which needs a doctors consent. However it is terribly expensive. A hair mineral analysis is a lot cheaper and maybe you can ask Dog Person about it. Or you can just go ahead and do a trial.

Brenda

Thanks Brenda