• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 test results

Hi there. Just received my B12 test results, and would appreciate some help interpreting the numbers.

Homocysteine 19 umol/l (0.0 - 15.0)

Active B12 >128 pmol/l (25 - 108)

Methylmalonic Acid 206 nmol/l (0 - 280)

Concerned re elevated Homocycteine, and the active B12 (always been high, despite no B12 supplements).

Any thoughts on the test results?

Do you have the MTHFR C677T SNP? And maybe some of the BHMT SNPs?

Hi. Been meaning to check this, but not sure where to get tested in the UK.

Yesterday, due to desperation, I injected 2mg of Hydro B12. Noticed positive changes to my health in a short time (i.e. major fatigue, depression and other issues typical of B12 def). Will probably inject on alternate days for upto 2-wks, and see how it goes.

redaxe

Hi. Been meaning to check this, but not sure where to get tested in the UK.

Yesterday, due to desperation, I injected 2mg of Hydro B12. Noticed positive changes to my health in a short time (i.e. major fatigue, depression and other issues typical of B12 def). Will probably inject on alternate days for upto 2-wks, and see how it goes.

Hi.
I had a similar reaction when I had a doctor inject hydroxy-B12 into me. In my case I found benefit from a few shots but the effect become less noticeable over time. It did however produce a permanent improvement - not a remission but still well worth it.

^ Glad to hear it. I'm also getting TRT (as mine was borderline), and this has made some improvements - both physically and mentally.

Re testing MTHFR; I take it I only need to test for the following: MTHFR A1298C and MTHFR C677T? Is there an idiot's guide to this? ;)

Critterina

^ Glad to hear it. I'm also getting TRT (as mine was borderline), and this has made some improvements - both physically and mentally.

Re testing MTHFR; I take it I only need to test for the following: MTHFR A1298C and MTHFR C677T? Is there an idiot's guide to this? ;)

Many of us have done the 23andMe test, because many of the other SNP (mutations) in other genes influence how we choose to go about treating it. It's US-based, but I know there are international shipping instructions. For example, there is one gene (MTRR A66G) that activates B12, and because I have the double mutation, I use it (sublingual methylB12 tablets, active form) twice a day and I feel about the same lift that you and @redaxe described, although no permanent change. In fact the frequency of taking it seems more important than whether it's 1 mg or 5 mg. So, if you're ordering tests a la carte, the MTRR A66G would also be interesting because...

So, this is what is a mystery to me: your test results were high for "active" B12, yet, when you injected hydroxy (inactive) B12, you got results. Very bizarre. It could be that the B12 is limiting your conversion of homocysteine to methionine. People with the MTHFR C677T usually have methylfolate limiting that reaction, but it's possible people like me and maybe you have the methylfolate we need and are short on the B12, you think?

You know, there are discussions about the MMA here, but I don't know. Search on methylmalonic and see what comes up. I know it means something!

Glad to hear the TRT is helping. I'm on low dose (I'm female) because I wasn't low-T, I was no-T. Makes a huge difference in my ability to get things done, and whether I even care if I get things done.

Plum

@Frosty 23andme is available easily from the UK now. I had mine done a few months ago. Pretty quick turn around. Really helpful especially with methylation issues.

pogoman

high serum B12 can also be caused by the TCN2 polymorphism, it prevents B12 from entering cells from the blood.
the 23andme test does cover this SNP and I found taking lithium orotate helps.