• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 side effect- Acne?

Freddd

Here is a bit of science on B12 as a cause of acne that someone on the forum showed me earlier today:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26109103
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26109103

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27303708

HI Johnmac,

I think these two articles are looking at a response to faulty methylation rather than a B12 response. They don't give you a method to correct the problem and a hypothetical cause that will have a person running in circles and never finding the solution. Good luck.

Johnmac

I have had acne so many times it's not funny. It happens 100% of the times with "spoiled" MeCbl (HyCbl), folic acid, CyCbl, glutathione and other things that cause methyltrap. Then when I take MeCbl without enough l-methylfolate, acne results Then it becomes partial methylation block rather than methyltrap from . This can cause much confusion except that it is lack of adequate methylation that causes the acne outbreaks. Mfolate doesn't fix methyltrap causes. Mfolate only fixes those from partial methylation block. A person can move from methyltrap to partial methylation block in an hour. It is very much, a balance. If this is treated with the wrong hypothesis, it doesn't work. I haven't had an outbreak of acne since I figured out the difference between methyltrap and partial methylation block. I haven't had any trouble with MeCbl since using foil on vial and syringe or protecting any liquid MeCbl or AdoCbl from light and have been at 15mg to 30mg a day of l-methylfolate. Now if I have a partial methylation block it is low copper.and the acne isn't affected by lack of copper. Good luck. I have found a strategy that has worked 100% so far for me.

When I find the right solution, the acne loses the burn in hours and it is healing in a few more hours, gone in 3 days. When I do the wrong thing it starts appearing or worsening within hours.

Thanks Fred. What about staph skin infections - boils, & just big nasty red infections? These are my present bane. Would they result from methyl trap or poor methylation?

(According to Wikipedia, acne is normally P. acnes; boils are normally staph - tho the former can open the door to the latter.)

Freddd

Thanks Fred. What about staph skin infections - boils, & just big nasty red infections? These are my present bane. Would they result from methyl trap or poor methylation?

(According to Wikipedia, acne is normally P. acnes; boils are normally staph - tho the former can open the door to the latter.)

Hi Johnmac,

I had acne type lesions most of my life in many places on my body. My son had eczema. Both of us cleared up all our skin problems with MeCbl, l-methylfolate and so on. One woman I know started MeCbl and Metafolin and her skin problems. She was taking 5mg a day of a prescription form. She was sick and ended up on Medicaid. The MeCbl-Deplin wasn't covered and she was switched to a 5mg of folic acid and CyCbl injections. We lived in different states and only ran into each other from time to time. The last time I saw her, about 10 months after the changeover, she had gained 50-60 pounds of water and was horribly bloated and had acne type lesions at the start that grew out to half dollar size infections. The changeover started in days. After a year of this she had lost her balance (subacute combined degeneration), fell down a flight of stairs, has a spiral fracture of her femur. I haven seen her since and do not know of what became of her.

She was starting with CFS/FMS when I first met her. When switched to the active forms she started getting better. Folic acid at 5mg daily with CyCbl damaged her as it would me. And the doctor said it was "impossible" when given the solution despite the near instant change.

However, the key idea here is that low methylation of whatever cause meant poor infection resistance. I was sick much of my life and continual skin infections from childhood from my causes of poor methylation. And methyltrap caused demyelination.

Good luck. If it were me having that I would expect HyCbl, Spoiled MeCbl and/or AdoCbl (partially HyCbl), folic acid or inadequate methylfolate or some combination. I assume you are not taking too much b1, b2, b3, inositol, glutathione, NAC or whey, green drinks or veggie folates. Anything sound familiar. I just ended an episode of folate deficiency symptoms (partial methylation block) from 80 mcg of folic acid in a cup of Soy milk, and before that methylation failure from lack of copper and possibly other trace minerals. Good luck at finding what is causing it for you.

Freddd

Hi Johnmac,

I had those as a child and at other times. Staph is a normal resident on skin bacterium. The question is "WHY?". What makes it go out of control or givers it a chance to?. I had a terrible thrush-candida infection in my mouth and urinary system and was heading down my throat fast after some antibiotics. My doctor said "out of balance of some kind that affects immune system". Yes, copper was deficient and that causes many methylation problems which can include immune system. I've never had thrush in my life before that. Methyltrap causes a nasty fast onset of methylation block for the reason of no MeCbl available when a cell needs it. That causes incomplete cell formation around which a lesion forms and gets infected it appears. Methyl block from low folate can come on one or two symptoms at a time and slowly, severity related to degree of lack of methylfolate. Methyltrap is caused by low MeCbl so not available in cell when needed(or in people like me, HyCbl or CyCbl) getting uptaken instead of MeCbl a cell and doesn't convert to needed form and so has a methylation fail that causes the methylfolate to be removed from the cell. In the compartment in methyltrap the symptoms can start coming on in hours as people like me with glutathione problems demonstrate.

If the problem is methyltrap correcting with MeCbl that can change the symptoms to partial methylation block in hours so the symptoms change quickly and in a puzzling way to a lot of people. The problem is that there are many variations with similar results. I've had partial methylation block and/or methyltrap in various compartments most of my life. Now when it hits me it can hit hard and narrowly, such as for copper; a handful of severe symptoms instead of a lot of mild to severe symptoms.

Hi everone,

this thread is several years old, but nevertheless I hoped that maybe someone found an answer in these years. I take MeCbl up to 5000µg /day and I note more and more acne-like pimples. My skin just started to clear up after years. I need to take the B12 for some time since my arms felt numb all the time and this went away with B12, I also notice that I am much more calm and confident and somehow cheerful since taking the B12. Are there solutions to this? I also take 25-50mg Zinc/daily and 25.000 iE Vitamin A. I am waiting for my new B-Komplex to arrive and still have capsules with 500mg B5 at home, which I didn't start taking. Did someone try the B5 to compensate for the B12 effect? I also take around 2g of Folate for two weeks by now. Is this actually harmful?

I did not exactly understand everything that was written about Methylation. But what is the link between impaired methylation due to high amounts of B12?

Last but not least I am trying to overcome some health issues and the lack of energy and tiredness I expierence, and since B12 helped with that and tha numb arms and legs I would not want to stop taking it. But the acne is making it even more difficult to go outside, even though I know I should. I rather hide and sleep...

Hi @Rita1979,

Have you tried adding in Vitamin E? I take 800 IU daily, and use a Vitamin E face cream after I wash my face (twice daily). When I lapse in this routine, I often start to break out, but for the most part this keeps my skin clear.

The one exception has been a bad spate of breakouts (both cystic-type and small papules) which has gone away with an increase in my methylfolate. I am currently taking 30 mg of MeCbl (I have/had heavy neurological issues) and am now at 8.4 mg of Solgar Methyfolate. But as far as this apparent experience with "paradoxical folate deficiency" goes, I had a downturn in a number of other symptoms at the same time (muscle soreness and stiffness; fatigue; depression; etc.) which I was seeking to treat.

So that's two thoughts. :)