1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

B12 serum levels and supplementation

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by PeterPositive, Jun 23, 2013.

1. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Hello,
    I am new here. I have a quick question. My methylation isn't working well, after a year of active B12 supplementation (with all the other Bs) I still have my homocysteine level > 14. I seem to be stuck around that number and it doesn't want to go down.

My B12 serum levels have gone from 312 to 880 micrograms/mL which is almost at the end of the range. (900 according to the lab tests)

Question is, is it safe to continue the supplementation at ~1000mcg (every day)? What are the risks of going to high with the serum levels?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if there's any misspelling. English is not my native language.
  2. Stillgoing

Stillgoing

Czech Republic or UK
    From information on this forum- there is no risk to having high serum levels.

Higher the better.

I take 3000 - 5000mcg active b12 (methylcobalamin/ adenosylcobalamin) every day. If I had the money I would take 30,000+ mcg a day.
  3. PeterPositive

Hi, thanks.
    You sound like a B12 junkie :)
    How long have you been taking that dosage?
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque

It is also possible that you have a SNP that interferes with the absorption of one of the critical nutrients in the protocol. A friend of mine with high homocysteine found that this was the case.

Sushi
    LaurieL likes this.
  5. PeterPositive

Thanks. Yes this possibility has been suggested by a doctor, things like MTHFR.
    I have pretty high levels of mercury according to a couple of hair analysis. Not all doctors take them seriously. In any case I was wondering if mercury itself could be the cause of a stubborn Hcy level.

1 year ago my Hcy serum level was 98! :( It came down pretty quickly, but now it's stuck around 13-14,which is weird because I haven't changed protocol.

Peter

See more popular forum discussions.