• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 question, sorry im new

Hi, 2 years ago cfs was something i was diagnosed with along with other things, b12 deficiency being one, after 6 months of monthly injections i was changed to 3 monthly. My b12 measured 1400 a week after my injection, 3 months later i was at 200. My symptoms are worse then ever. My doctor doesnt see a problem and says it nutritional. Im 'leaking' b12. This cant be normal, my research points me towards pernicious anaemia and on other thread i have read about promising treatments. Anyone else have these sorts of numbers? Sorry if its all been done before, just need to start somewhere

Sea

Welcome Lukeygirl.

It is usual to have high B12 on a blood test if you're having injections or even supplementing orally. Unfortunately that alone is not enough information to determine whether or not your body is able to utilise B12 effectively.

Do you have any idea what is in your B12 injection? Most of them are Cyanocobalamin, a synthetic version of B12 that many people cannot convert to a form usable by the body. If your injections were cheap or covered by insurance it is likely that they are Cyanocobalamin. If that is the case and you haven't found them helpful it may be worth looking at a formulation that is more ready for the body to use.

Hydroxocobalamin is another form that is helpful to some but again there are still some people who cannot convert it. It still needs to be converted to Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin before it can be used.

Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin are the forms ready for the body to use. These are the most expensive and more prone to degradation if not stored correctly.

With regards to your cfs diagnosis, have you considered the possibilty that all your symptoms could be explained by B12 deficiency?

Thanks for replying it was the quick drop to 200 over three months that i found concerning, kind of suggests that im not storing it. I am on cyanocobalamin. I read in another thread about the b12 oils and am going to try that but im a bit freaked out now. There is so much information and it seems potassium and folate needs to be treated as well when using the b12 + transporters. My doctor is really not interested and im scared to treat myself now. I want to be well so much.

Sorry also i have considered it is only b12 but my doctor doesnt believe low levels produce these symptoms and refuses to even go back to a monthly schedule

Bansaw

My doc told me never to do injections. She said they provoked a reaction of an initial release in the body's natural store of B12 but then weren't helpful. I take sublinguals myself, - two kinds daily: 2000mcg Adeno B12 and 2000mcg Hydrox B12.
I am seeing my doc in two weeks time to add some supplements soon to lift my methylation cycle properly.