• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 not getting into cells/serum levels high or ok

Hello, I am new here.

Wondering if anyone can shed possible reasons for a high deficiency in B12 in the cells per NutrEval results, while the serum levels were off the chart high while taking methyl B12? I was instructed to stop taking the B12 and a couple years later, my serum B 12 is much lower but still in range.

I thought I needed a different form of B12, such as adeno or hydroxy. However, I had an online consult with a practioner who seems to understand NutrEval results and she said I needed Vit E in teh form of tocotrienols to get allow the B12 to get into my cells.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience?

Thank you!

PS- I am compound heterozygous for MTHFR but she didn't think it was expressing it self as (I think she said a marker for folate was OK)... altho the test showed I am highly deficient in folic acid/ B9. ???

Hi Natalija.I was diagnosed with CFS in 1991 and I suspect that my illness is undiagnosed liver disease.Recently I had medical tests done and it turns out I have brain atrophy and anaemia.I have been looking into my symptoms and my results myself since it takes a long time to see a doctor and after my experience with CFS if I have something that cannot be diagnosed I don't want to waste a doctor's time and either get treatment for something that I do not have or get more unnecessary testing.Brain damage and anaemia could be caused by liver disease but they could also be caused by pernicious anaemia which is an autoimmune disease that destroys the cells of the stomach that produce intrinsic factor which results in vitamin B12 not being absorbed.I took it upon myself to experiment with vitamin B12 supplements and I am not sure of the results yet.I haven't had the improvement I was hoping for although I experienced a small improvement eg less headache,less muscle aches and less nausea.I had no idea that vitamin B12 should be taken with vitamin E but since I also take cod liver oil maybe that has helped a little bit.If you do a phoenixrising search using the box on the upper right hand side of the screen you can find some of the discussions regarding the different types of vitamin B12,folate and other supplements.I will try and read more on vitamin B12 myself.Hopefully if someone has the Information you are looking for they will post it.It would be helpful for me too.Good luck!