• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12/Metafolin nausea?

My 15 year old (who has Lyme, and likely MCS), recently started taking Methyl B12 Plus from Douglas Labs. This is a lozenge with 400 mcg Metafolin and 1000 mcg Methylcobalamin. She says that after about 1/4 or less has melted in her mouth, she starts to feel nauseous. Then she's been chewing it and swallowing it. This has been going on for several weeks, but I didn't realize it. She says swallowing it does not make the nausea worse. I have her off it for now.

Is this quick reaction a lifting of the methylation cycle block? Or something else? Does it just mean we need to go slower with starting this, like give her 1/4 or less per day and work up slowly to one lozenge?

I am fairly new to this stuff. Have not done SNP testing yet. Planning on doing 23andme soon.

-Upwards

caledonia

This is too much to start with. That's more like a final dose. Always Start Low and Go Slow. Start one new supplement at a time. If you start feeling bad, stop for several days and let everyting clear out. Then restart at 1/2 the dose or smaller. Then rinse and repeat until you get to a dose you can tolerate. Keep a symptom journal of what meds or supps you start and when, and what dose, and then any results, good, bad or indifferent.

You can also learn self muscle testing to test which meds or supps are good or bad for you, and what dose to take. There are lots of videos on Youtube that show how to do this. The muscle testing can cut down on the amount of trial and error required.

Another thing for methylation is to have some nicotinic acid form of niacin on hand in case the methylation cycle gets going too fast. You only need 50-100mg, not a whole pill.

Personally, I wouldn't do any methylation protocol without at least knowing your SNPs. There are too many pitfalls you could run into with various SNP combinations. Some functional testing would be good too.

Check out the Methylation Made Easy videos. The link is in my signature.

Thanks, caledonia, for the info. Will look at the videos. Was "following doctor's orders", but I know my doc is new at this stuff also.

-Upwards

Freddd

My 15 year old (who has Lyme, and likely MCS), recently started taking Methyl B12 Plus from Douglas Labs. This is a lozenge with 400 mcg Metafolin and 1000 mcg Methylcobalamin. She says that after about 1/4 or less has melted in her mouth, she starts to feel nauseous. Then she's been chewing it and swallowing it. This has been going on for several weeks, but I didn't realize it. She says swallowing it does not make the nausea worse. I have her off it for now.

Is this quick reaction a lifting of the methylation cycle block? Or something else? Does it just mean we need to go slower with starting this, like give her 1/4 or less per day and work up slowly to one lozenge?

I am fairly new to this stuff. Have not done SNP testing yet. Planning on doing 23andme soon.

-Upwards

HI Upwards,

It sounds like possibly potassium assuming that didn't happen the first day. If it happened first and each day the same then it is more likely related to nerve functioning which can cause spasming including stomach as the nerves and muscles wake up. The B12 stops absorbing as soon as swallowed for most all intents and purposes. From then on up to 1% may be absorbed over the next 6 hours. If you interpret that correctly as to the clues then she is likely on the p[ath to healing.. If interpreted incorrectly then healing won't occur, whatever the correct interpretation happens to be. Only one reported effect isn't enough to tell anything in this case as far as I can see. Now if several things happen and it progresses from day to day better understanding can result.

Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with cyanocobalamin it is very common with methylb12 and adensosylb12 and less so with hydroxycobalamin..

IBS – Steady constipation , Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum, Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness, Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), Increased pulse rate, Increased blood pressure, Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.

Group 2a - Both

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation

Group 2b – Either or both

Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract, increased hypersensitive responses , Skin rashes, Increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores, Coated tongue, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, Increase irritability, Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Old symptoms returning, Heart palpitations, Bleeding easily.

Group 4 - Hydroxycbl onset, degraded methylcbl onset, methylcbl after photolytic breakdown onset.

Itchy bumps generally on scalp or face that develops to acne like lesions in a few days from start.

She says it happened from day 1. I now have her on 1/4 tablet of Methyl B12 Plus, she is using as a lozenge only (not chewing/swallowing) and she says the nausea is not occurring.

"Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips"

She did have this last spring for a short time, but the only "folate" she has had is metafolin.

She also says that when she has Zinc, her tongue feels weird. This is the NOW Foods chewable Elderberry and Zinc. We backed off to 1/2 tab, so she is only getting 6mg of zinc gluconate. Any ideas about this one? Her doc really wants her to have zinc.
[/quote]

Sorry, I am having a very hard time posting, hope this comes out okay!

Are you supposed to supplement potassium when starting mB12 and methylfolate? I have tried to search on this site for this, but not finding info.