1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
In Brief: The Adrenal Glands and ME
The second in a new series of ‘In Brief’ articles, where Andrew Gladman provides a helpful insight into the science behind fairly common topics, exploring how they relate to ME/CFS. This time he discusses the adrenal glands and why they can be such a talking point ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

B12 - issues with Liver - now fluid retention

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by kday, Jun 14, 2011.

1. kday

kday Senior Member

For those that don't know, vitamin B12 and methylation for me is a double edged sword. The vitamins make me feel a thousand times better, but it puts stress on my liver and kidneys. Lately I have needed much less B12 as the cycle seems to be (somewhat) restored again.

Well, first it was my liver and dark urine. I retained some fluid throughout the day, but even with the troubles my body seemed to get be able to get most of it off on its own.

I had a liver scan that indicated chronic liver disease a while ago. I started on alpha-lipoic acid (with vitamin e, vitamin c, and selenium) and it made a huge difference and helped the fluid retention symptoms (delayed urine emptying?) quite a bit as well. However, large doses of alpha-lipoic acid increased neurological symptoms, but after taking frequent small doses throughout the day (Andy Cutler style sort of), I can tolerate larger doses fine.

My liver seems better. It doesn't seem full, and consistently has a nice percussion sound now. Liver enzymes are now perfect.

However, my body is now having trouble dumping fluid. I upped the ALA dose to 600 mg last night and this morning, and I lost 7 pounds in 10 hours.

Not quite sure what to do. Doctors never seem to know what to do so I am always hesitant to go. I'm wondering if it the antioxidant nature of ALA that helps a lot.

I was thinking about adding Acetyl L-Carnitine since it can possibly help kidney stuff, and I read it may help CFS symptoms as well. I know I am just guessing, and may end up with another useless supplement, but despite the collection of useless junk, this has been the way I have figured out what works and what doesn't.

Anybody know anything about Acetyl L-Carnitine?
  2. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, Kyle.

Do you mean you excreted 7 pounds of urine in 10 hours? That would be the better part of a gallon.

It would certainly be interesting to see results of some biochemical testing on you.

Rich
  3. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Kday,

Folate deficiency is associated with edema. When the fluid is dumped rapidly, ie I lost 4 pounds of fluid today in about 5 hours after my latest bout of induced folate deficiency was dealt with, I started getting spasms about 30 minutes ago that were just relieved by an additional 500mg of potassium about 30 minutes ago.
  4. kday

kday Senior Member

In terms of methylation, I never had the comprehensive analysis since labs were quite expensive and insurance didn't cover them.

I had my eyes looked at by a opthamologist for (suspected) Wilson's disease. No rings. However, they found another possible eye disease and my vision as deteriorated quite a bit in 2 years (I am 25). All the nerves and everything else looked good.

I have molybdenum. Last night my neuro symptoms were starting to go mad, so I took a pill of molybdenum and I didn't need to take B12. However, when I woke up, my urine was very, very dark. Like brownish red.

I am not retaining fluid like I was since when I avoid B12 I don't retain fluid, but I physically, mentally, and neurologically feel much worse when I don't take B12. Though molybdenum helps I think.

Brief history: Lyme disease in 2008. On doxy 100 mg BID or I deteriorate. Going off doxy makes things a lot worse after a few weeks and does not correlate with liver/kidney symptoms. CFS diagnosed with Pacific Fatigue Lab type testing and very low sed rate, no HGH, etc.

I'll post my lab tests here when I get a chance.
  5. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Kday,

Consider that when more mb12 is taken, more Metafolin is needed. When there is a folate deficiency fluid is retained and more b12 is dumped in the more concentrated urine of "Like brownish red." I go through this with each cycle of folate deficiency whether induced ny folic acid, folinic acid, vegetable food folate of glutathione (precursors). I just came out of such a deficiency yesterday and the b12 disapperared entirely from my urine despite the 180mg/day I am currently injecting which on the average causes considerable coloration with increases and changes with folate deficiency and goes away entirely for a day or two after exiting folate deficiency.

Also, with the increased Metafolin and mb12, the need for potassium can go up a LOT, especially when urine increases after coming out of the folate deficiency. I also dumped another 2-3 pounds of water since yesterday's post.

See more popular forum discussions.