• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12/Iron relationship

Tiger Lily 813

Hi there, I've been trying to balance mineral levels particularly iron (got too high from supplements I took in the past). I began taking B12 supplements, then noticed that it did lower my ferritin levels (back to my low normal level), but serum iron and saturation both increased, which worries me.
Could the B12 supplementation put more stored iron in circulation? Any other thoughts on why ferritin would be in low-normal range yet with high serum and saturation?

Runner5

Hi Tiger Lily, I was wondering if you have Hemochromatosis?

(I had a book on Audible (which I have yet to finish - per usual for me) "Survival of the Sickest" which discusses how some mutations are beneficial adaptations with a downside and it discussed Hemochromatosis.)

Good luck finding your answer, wish I could help.

Tiger Lily 813

Hi @Runner5 I'm not sure to be honest- doctors don't think so. I don't believe I have it genetically, but I did overdo it with iron supplements a year ago (stopped a year ago), so I may be overloaded.
To clarify, on my latest test my ferritin is 29 (which is normal for me), serum iron is 176, TIBC is 316 and saturation is 56%.
Before taking (methyl) B12 my values were approximately 60-70 ferritin, 78 serum iron and 35% saturation, which is comparably more normal... though still high for me personally.