1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Lipkin Microbiome Crowdfunding Campaign Launches!
An ambitious $1.27m international, patient-led fundraising campaign storms into action. Sasha invites you to join it!
Discuss the article on the Forums.

B12 Injections

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by maryb, May 18, 2011.

1. maryb

maryb Senior Member

UK
    I've been doing these for some years now, 1ml a day - using a multiuse vial of either hydroxy or methyl /with insulin needles, either into the belly or top of thigh.
    Just been prescribed B12 by KdM and chemist said it has to be given IM not SC as its a water soluble vitamin, he says it will just stay in the fat - so does anyone know if that is correct, have I been putting myself through all this pain for nothing?
    My partner says there isn't a lot of fat in the thigh so its probably going into the muscle and I do inject there 90% of the time but I don't agree, I think I'm hitting fat:(:(.

BTW multiuse vials aren't available in the UK anymore via the chemist, all single use now , what a pain.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I have had several doctors tell me to give hydrox B12 injections subcut (including KDM). I definitely felt the benefit giving it this way. One doctor said that by giving it subcut, it would be absorbed in a "time release" manner, and since the half life of hydrox B12 is very short, this was a good strategy.

I am about to start again giving it subcut.

Best wishes,
    Sushi
  3. maryb

maryb Senior Member

UK
    Sushi once again - you are a star:) thanks, all that pain wasn't in vain.
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    when it comes to different injection sites all it does is change the speed of absorption. IV is very rapid and quick with a high serum peak and shorter duration of action, IMI is still reasonably quick but a longer duration of absorption and subcut is the slowest of the injections with a slower and lower serum peak but a longer duration of absorption. In reguards to b12 i dont think it really matters as b12 is stored in the body, liver i think and excess is excreted during a number one.

cheers!!!
  5. maryb

maryb Senior Member

UK
    Thanks heaps, the chemist was adamant that I wouldn't absorb a water soluble vitamin through fat tissue, all that university training and he could have just come on here and you lot would have taught him something:D:D

See more popular forum discussions.