• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 - Different brands and reactions to them

arx

I've been wondering this for quite a while. After trying out many sublingual methyl-b12 brands and getting different effects from them, such as: energy, sleepiness, intensified symptoms, no effect, and so on.

I want to ask if the body needs methyl-b12, and of course I'll take the one that gives me energy, but do the other brands also promote healing?

Sleepiness could be melatonin secretion. Intensified symptoms could be something else.

But SHOULD one compromise on the brand that suits them?

After all, the body needs methyl-b12. In the long run, after a certain amount of healing has taken place, should one stick to a particular brand only?

PeterPositive

Are you sure these effects are consistent with the brand of B12?
So far I have changed 4-5 brands but haven't seen major differences. Initially I would get pretty over-anxious after a 1mg dose, regardless of the vitamin brand. The problem went away after some time.

In other words are you entirely sure you can correlate those symptoms to B12 and not something else? I have had the same problem with SAMe, for some coincidence I felt awful on several occasions while taking the supplement and immediately thought it was caused by that. It turned out it wasn't SAM-e at all.

arx

Yeah. Pretty much. The effect was visible in minutes after taking the B12. I thought about it after taking them many times and experienced the same effect.

Jarrow 1mg - pretty much no effect
NOW 1mg - sleepiness / zoned-out
Solgar 5mg - energy, possible clarity

My doubt is - if different B12s make one feel different, is there a choice or do they all lead to the same road, in terms of energy levels and type of energy (hyper, calm, edgy etc.) ?

Last edited:

Critterina

Yeah. Pretty much. The effect was visible in minutes after taking the B12. I thought about it after taking them many times and experienced the same effect.

Jarrow 1mg - pretty much no effect
NOW 1mg - sleepiness / zoned-out
Solgar 5mg - energy, possible clarity

My doubt is - if different B12s make one feel different, is there a choice or do they all lead to the same road, in terms of energy levels and type of energy (hyper, calm, edgy etc.) ?
Did you try the Jarrow or NOW brands at 5 mg, by any chance, to make sure it's not dose-dependent?
Have you tried Enzymatic Therapies (mainly recommended on this site) or Natural Factors (the one I like)?
Sorry, I have more questions than answers. As usual! :D

arx

Nope. Haven't tried their 5 mg. I did try ET - didn't like it.

The Solgar is also now making me sleepy. I guess this is because of the melatonin. I'll shift my dose to night and see what happens.