Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

B12 deficiency symptoms after two hours after taking 5mg Methyl-B12 with moderate work

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by dwith an a, Mar 12, 2015.

1. dwith an a

dwith an a

I have these symptoms after 2 hours or less of taking 5mg MB12 while at work ( physical job). This has been like this ever since starting it. taking potassium wont help it but only more MB12 will. It will stretch a little furthur when at home, but still remains a problem. Symptoms include slowly increasing malaise, decreasing coordination with hands, and similiar. After six hours this becomes confusion and stiffness. At ten- twelve hours it becomes extremely bad and I dont want to move without extreme stiffness of ALL muscles.

What is going on here exactly? After Twelve hours without supplementing I got a homocysteine/ methylmalonic test and got:
    HOMOCYSTEINE
    21.2 HIGH <11.4 umol/L 01

METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS
    METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS 142
    87-318 nmol/L
    METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS, URINE
    METHYLMALONIC ACID, GC/MS/MS, URINE0.9
    0.3-1.9 mmol/mol creat
    CREATININE, RANDOM URINE 5.432.38-26.55 mmol/L

I began takign metlyfolate too lately to help the homocysteine level. B12 symptoms retun roughly the same way after 1.5-two hours.

Any help would be nice thanks!

2. Sherpa

Sherpa Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie

USA
    Taking oral sublingual B12 is not very effective. For me it only lasts 1 to 2 hours (absolute max). Very, very little of it goes to the brain.

Your better option for long-lasting B12 effect is injection or transdermal spray.

I have been getting much better results with transdermal B12 Oil - methylbobalmin / adenosylcobalmin mix. This product, rubbed into the skin, lasts for at least 6 to 8 hours of B12 released steadily into the bloodstream. I feel an 'afterglow' even the next day. The product is shipped from Australia. It costs about $1 per dose.

Also...be careful taking too much potassium. If you don't need it and you take too much, it can make things worse.

Are you taking magnesium? I find it very helpful for relieving muscle pain. I take Jigsaw magnesium. It's time-released and has time relased methylfolate.

The time release magnesium & methylfolate + the time released B12 (oil) is really, really helping me.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  3. Helen

Helen Senior Member

I agree with @Sherpa that B12-injections (not cyano- but methyl- or hydroxycobalamin) would probably be a better alternative for you. Your high homocysteine indicate a severe deficiency of B12 and/or B6 and/or folate. Hard physical work "consumes" more B12 than resting which could explain your symptoms from that.

I hope you can get a proper treatment for your deficiency(-ies) from your doctor. Maybe you also belong to those/us who need to continue with supplementation to keep your homocysteine within normal range once your deficiency (-ies) are treated. Could the muscle stiffness you get depend on low potassium? I would get it checked. A cardiologist told me that it should be around the upper reference range. Best of luck!

See more popular forum discussions.