Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

B12 causing migraines - anybody else?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by bertiedog, Dec 7, 2016.

1. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    I think I am addicted to supplements that help energy especially B12 but I think it could be highly likely that it actually causes the daily migraines/headaches that I get and wondered if anybody else has made this connection.

There are other forums on the Net where many people write about how they get a severe headache/migraine quite quickly after taking even amounts like 1000 mcg. I was taking Pure Encapsulations 1000 mcg AdenB12 and 1000 mcg HydroxyB12.

BTW My blood tests for B12 are way over the range so don't really understand why I have kept taking it hence me thinking its almost like an addiction to try and keep my energy up to a reasonable level. I also wonder if the B2, and B6 could do this too.

Pam

2. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    @bertiedog
    You can have high serum levels and low cellular uptake, so don't take your blood levels as a measure of how much b12 your body is actually getting. Some people have b12 transport defects and so need a lot of b12 to get just a little bit into cells. I think I recall that small amounts of lithium helps with that.

See more popular forum discussions.