• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and pregnancy: Safe?

Ninan

A woman on another forum is trying to get pregnant but worries about her methyl B12 shots. She takes 10 mg/week and should probably double that dose to get full benifit.

The question: Is it safe to take those amounts during pregnancy? Anyone who knows?

PeterPositive

Is she followed by a doctor? If so, the physician should be able to assess the safety of the B12 protocol.
It's not just about the B12 per se but also about the general physical condition of this woman, her medical history etc...

my 2c

Sparrow

It might also be worth making sure that she isn't depleting her available folate resources by adding the extra B12 (i.e. using it up for her own body's needs). She'll need lots of folate on hand for the baby's development too.

Freddd

A woman on another forum is trying to get pregnant but worries about her methyl B12 shots. She takes 10 mg/week and should probably double that dose to get full benifit.

The question: Is it safe to take those amounts during pregnancy? Anyone who knows?

Hi Ninan,

There are a number of considerations. 10mg of injected b12 has never been tested during pregnancy that I am aware of. But even more important is that a whole balance program needs to be taken. For instance MeCbl, AdoCbl, methylfolate and Vitamin E are all involved with neural tube defects. I'm sure that every vitamin in the books also is as that is a critical stage of development. An induced deficiency of another b-vit can cause other problems. A balance is needed. When my wife was pregnant we went into the obstetrician and did a point by point comparison with one of the prenatal vitamins he was prescribing. We had been reading Adelle Davis's LET'S HAVE HEALTHY CHILDREN. He said to make sure that we got all the things on there. He wasn't concerned that it was a slightly different form. One of the flaws of all the prenatal vits is that they put iron into the same pill that and iron disrupts absorption of other items. He said, take them any way you want in as complicated a timing pattern you want if you think it will help, just be sure to get enough of every one of the vitamins. There are some prenatal vitamins with MeCbl and methylfolate. Unfortunately they also have iron in them that interferes with folate as well. So we put together our own program and left the iron for 1 meal, '8-12 hours away from b12, folate and other affected vitamins".
Good Health.

Ninan

Thanks, @Freddd

So we simply don't know about B12? I thought so. Since this treatment is so common I guess there are a lot of women taking lots of B12, even during pregnancy. A trial wouldn't be very ethical, though.

Ninan

Is she followed by a doctor? If so, the physician should be able to assess the safety of the B12 protocol.
It's not just about the B12 per se but also about the general physical condition of this woman, her medical history etc...

my 2c
I guess that's what it comes down to.

Still doctors don't know more about this than we do. We see lots of people here taking huge amounts with no adverse effects.

Anyway, here is the Google answer:
http://www.drugs.com/answers/mecobalimine-pregnancy-531606.html

Freddd

Thanks, @Freddd

So we simply don't know about B12? I thought so. Since this treatment is so common I guess there are a lot of women taking lots of B12, even during pregnancy. A trial wouldn't be very ethical, though.

B12 is required and it's lack is a known contributor to neural tube defects. Here is an interesting item of research from India. The average 5cc dollop of semen potentially contains enough TC2 to carry as much b12 as 1 liter of blood, perhaps 1-2 mcg. It should be readily absorbable through the mucosa. TC2 has no known use except to become HTC2 when occupied by b12.

There are also no know reports of b12 use by the mother during pregnancy causing any known problems. It is essential in order to not have problems.

Lack of b12 in India is a major cause of reproductive failure. It is an endemic deficiency in the vegetarian populace.

There are plenty of brands of prenatal vitamins that contain MeCbl, just not injecting 10mg of it. My OPINION is that there would be no problem at all, much better than CyCbl or HyCbl.

Dr. Ben prenatal is iron free and very good. I'm on it for two months and pregnant of course. Seeking health is the company.