A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

B12 and folate's involvement in histamine metabolism

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by hixxy, Nov 22, 2015.

1. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Does anyone know how b12 and folate are involved in raising histamine levels? There seems to be many mentions of this throughout the web and is part of the basis on which b12 and folate are prescribed in the Pfeiffer/Walsh protocols. I just can't find any evidence of exactly how it happens? I've also

I'm already aware of folates involvement in lowering histamine levels via histidine degradation.

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I just read here where some one talked about that. I can't remember where. Did you put histamine in the search bar? I think that's how I found it.

3. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    I haven't seen anything anywhere that mentions that exact mechanism by which histamine levels rise with folate and/or b12 supplementation.

4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    Maybe no one knows?

hixxy likes this.
  5. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    I'm suspecting that's the case.

6. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

@hixxy
    As far as I understand it B12 can cause histamine release, more than increasing histamine.

My experience seems to confirm the hypothesis, in fact I have had periods of high histamine issues and adding methyl-B12 simply triggered the release. When I don't have the histamine issue adding more B12, even a lot of it (e.g. 15mg/day) doesn't cause any problem.

About folate I can't say. I don't find it to make any difference, at least in terms of causing more histamine issues. Mostly I refer to methyl-folate at dosages of 1 to 5mg/day.

cheers

AkeBono likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.