• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and folate's involvement in histamine metabolism

hixxy

Does anyone know how b12 and folate are involved in raising histamine levels? There seems to be many mentions of this throughout the web and is part of the basis on which b12 and folate are prescribed in the Pfeiffer/Walsh protocols. I just can't find any evidence of exactly how it happens? I've also

I'm already aware of folates involvement in lowering histamine levels via histidine degradation.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just read here where some one talked about that. I can't remember where. Did you put histamine in the search bar? I think that's how I found it.

hixxy

I haven't seen anything anywhere that mentions that exact mechanism by which histamine levels rise with folate and/or b12 supplementation.

PeterPositive

@hixxy
As far as I understand it B12 can cause histamine release, more than increasing histamine.

My experience seems to confirm the hypothesis, in fact I have had periods of high histamine issues and adding methyl-B12 simply triggered the release. When I don't have the histamine issue adding more B12, even a lot of it (e.g. 15mg/day) doesn't cause any problem.

About folate I can't say. I don't find it to make any difference, at least in terms of causing more histamine issues. Mostly I refer to methyl-folate at dosages of 1 to 5mg/day.

cheers