• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and Folate fast titration, side effects and dosing

So I bit the bullet and decided to start methylation. I was feeling terrible on low doses (>500mcg b12 and 200mcg folate) and I read somewhere on this board @Freddd's experiences with high doses of both mb12 and folate. I decided "what the heck?" and shot gunned 4.8mg of folate and 1mg of mb12. My year long fatigue lifted, my mental fog disappeared and I was as social as i'd ever been that afternoon.

Pass a few days and I kept increasing my dose for both mb12 and folate, but I wasn't feeling any neurological brightening. I went as high as 15mg of b12 and 7.5mg of folate in one dose and I felt agitated with a bit of cotton mouth.

Now I've settled on 5mg of b12 and 2.4mg of folate 3x a day with 400mg of supplemental potassium 4x a day and I'm feeling ok.

Questions:
Was my first neurological response to b12 and folate the start of the healing process?

Can healing stagnate if you stay at the same dose? Or do I constantly have to be titrating it?

When should I add in LCF and adenob12?

Should adenob12 be dosed only once a week?

Thank you all

helen1

What most of us find, including Freddd, is that with increased methylation comes induced deficiencies from the increased metabolic processes.

We're all aware of folate and potassium drops but other ones often happen soon after, commonly zinc, magmesium, b2, sometimes biotin, selenium, and other minerals.

It's tricky trying to figure out what symptoms match which deficiency. So far I'm pretty clear on how folate and magnesium feels but that's it.

@SuckSmoothie

What most of us find, including Freddd, is that with increased methylation comes induced deficiencies from the increased metabolic processes.

We're all aware of folate and potassium drops but other ones often happen soon after, commonly zinc, magmesium, b2, sometimes biotin, selenium, and other minerals.

It's tricky trying to figure out what symptoms match which deficiency. So far I'm pretty clear on how folate and magnesium feels but that's it.

@SuckSmoothie
You are leagues ahead of me then, I can't tell my symptoms apart as I'm drowning in a bottomless pit of supplements at the moment lol. How does a folate and magnesium deficiency feel? My blood serum magnesium was pretty high, but that's before I started methylation. I dropped my intake from 1.5g to 425mg of mag malate but I suspect I may need more in light of methylation

PeterPositive

You are leagues ahead of me then, I can't tell my symptoms apart as I'm drowning in a bottomless pit of supplements at the moment lol. How does a folate and magnesium deficiency feel? My blood serum magnesium was pretty high, but that's before I started methylation. I dropped my intake from 1.5g to 425mg of mag malate but I suspect I may need more in light of methylation
My 2c... you don't.
1.5g is an excessive dose, imo, unless your doctor prescribed it for specific reasons. No wonder it was showing high in the blood work. :)

With 425mg you're covering the full daily need plus, you're likely taking another 200-ish mg from diet, maybe more if you're eat lots of veggies.

I actually don't get any magnesium from food, i have a very limited diet of brown rice, steak, chicken, sweet potato, occasional deli meats, no veggies, no dairy, no gluten or wheat. Whenever I eat fish and avocado I get a little magnesium, but avocado is high in folinic so I'm avoiding it for the time being.

helen1

For me, folate need shows itself with a heavy arm feeling and magnesium need with restless legs.

ahmo

When should I add in LCF and adenob12?
Now. This might help continue your improvements.

I found that after about a year at high doses, I was able to decrease folate and MB12. Although now that I've started using a nasal solution of B12, which is giving me more, I've also increase my folate. But at the most, 6mg/day. I also had to quit green veggies, when I found that at 30mg folate I was still running into deficiencies. When I quit the greens, I reduced the dose by half. I'm not sure how often this happens to others. Sounds like you're doing great. Being brave enough to increase doses is a great start.

Thanks for the kind words, it's all about getting past that mental block when it comes to high doses and the fear that comes with it.

I have LCF on hand but adeno coming in the mail, is it ok to start one without the other?