• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and Folate Deficiency

Hey everyone.

This is my first post here and I'm still reading and learning so much from all the info on the protocol here. I'll try and keep this short and sweet as to not bore anyone lol. If you're not interested or don't wanna read my back story just scroll down to the ** later in the post to see my questions :)

I've been ill for a long time, I was diagnosed with a b12 and folate deficiency a few years back at around 19 years old. I had the injections (hydroxo I think) but I didn't see any improvement in energy or symptoms whatsoever. My mean corpuscular volume did return to normal though which is a positive. Over the years I've worsened, the doctor stopped giving me the injections because I "wasn't deficient anymore" seeing as my serum levels rose.

Well I got my thyroid tested recently through blue horizon and b12 and folate happened to be tested aswell. I was folate deficient again (third time now) and my b12 has steadily dropped over the years back to the point now where I'm like 24 above from being clinically deficient again. As a side note my reverse T3 was also high and the ratio was low, the TSH, T4 and T3 were all good though.

I'm fairly certain it's an intestinal absorption problem, I have some gastrointestinal problems and have done for years. I was first referred to a gastro which showed thickening of the terminal ileum and swollen lymph nodes, told I have IBD but the colonoscopy was normal. A further scan showed the same inflammation, which leads me to believe it's something bacterial/microscopic in nature, but I was discharged. I've been through it with the various doctors I've seen, told I was crazy, it's all in my head, the lot, something I know many of you here can relate to.

Anyway, I'm seeing my primary doctor on Tuesday to discuss my latest results. I think she'll prescribe me the injections again (and probably refer me to help figure out why I'm not absorbing well) but seeing as the hydroxo had no effect whatsoever, I'm interested in trying methylcobalamin injections. I really doubt she'll prescribe it though...

**so I was wondering if anyone knew any safe sources here in England where I can buy mb12 from? (Am I allowed to ask that? Lol). I'm wary about buying from the Internet and injecting myself with something I can't be sure of the purity of, but I'm at the end of my tether and I need to try.

The other thing I was hoping for help with, was whether anyone could link me or point me toward some studies or something evidential that I can show my doc which highlights the importance of mb12, and maybe persuade her to prescribe it. I'm also going to ask her if she can get me the MHTFR test to see if I have some mutations or whatnot but I must admit I don't know very much about it or what to ask for specifically.

Well, I didn't manage to keep it short nor sweet but thanks for any help, it'd be greatly appreciated.