• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

b.p. - there is a tie to hypothyroid

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I wanted to correct something...I said above I suspected histamine raises bp, but it does not. However my bp raises during allergy season (and if I do not supplement boatloads of zinc then my bp eventually falls as I am unable to make any more aldosterone). This latter can also happen due to dehydration so I am trying to make sure I drink enough water whether I feel like it or not.

So now I suspect it is PAF (platelet aggregating factor) which causes my bp to go up during allergy season. Anyway that's what I'm looking into next. If I know what causes it, maybe I can find an anti-PAF supplement (or whatever) that does the trick.

Meanwhile I find that Spirulina helps bp:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20509691

J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Jun 23;58(12):7166-71. doi: 10.1021/jf100193f.

Isolation of an antihypertensive peptide from alcalase digest of Spirulina platensis.

Lu J, Ren DF, Xue YL, Sawano Y, Miyakawa T, Tanokura M.

Source

Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan.

Abstract

An angiotensin I-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory peptide Ile-Gln-Pro with an IC(50) value of 5.77 +/- 0.09 microM was purified from the alcalase digests of Spirulina platensis by gel filtration chromatography and two steps of reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC). The peptide was synthesized and showed resistance to in vitro digestion by gastrointestinal proteases. Kinetics studies indicated that the peptide was a noncompetitive inhibitor and that the K(i) value was 7.61 +/- 0.16 microM. Oral administration of Ile-Gln-Pro at a dosage of 10 mg/kg showed significant decreases of the weighted systolic blood pressure (SBP) and diastolic blood pressure (DBP) in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR) at 4, 6, and 8 h after treatment. The results showed that the ACE inhibitory peptide from Spirulina platensis may have potential for use in the prevention and treatment of hypertension.
----
This is interesting to me because Spirulina also helps allergies. At a dose of 2g/day, after 3 months, it is supposed to be effective (I have only tried 10.5g at the last minute which appears to work after 2 days). I cannot sustain the high dose of Spirulina but could probably manage 2g on an onging basis, which I am going to try to see if I get a pass on allergy season next time.