Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

B cells expressing the transcription factor T-bet drive lupus-like autoimmunity

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Liz_999, May 12, 2017.

1. Liz_999

Liz_999

Full paper: https://www.jci.org/articles/view/91250

I'd be grateful if @Jonathan Edwards and our more knowledgeable users could comment on this.

Based on the current state of knowledge, do the researchers' conclusions that it may be worthwhile to target this subset of B cells make sense - at least in theory, given that this is based on a mouse model?

Gingergrrl likes this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I don't actually think this is a 'subset' of B cells. We have had various hares raise about special types of B cell which are in fact just B cells in a particular state of maturation or activation. Today they may be in this 'subset'. Tomorrow they will have matured to another subset. So there is nothing to 'target' really. Mouse autoimmunity is unrelated to human autoimmunity in terms of cause - it is caused by lab researchers not by natural defects in regulation. I do not think there is any good reason to think mouse autoimmunity helps us understand what to do for human disease.

The real story is that T-bet may be an important signalling system to look at as a target, but I suspect we knew that anyway!

See more popular forum discussions.