1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

B-cell discovery suggests why women suffer more autoimmune disease

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Deatheye, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Deatheye

Deatheye Senior Member

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-08-b-cell-discovery-women-autoimmune-disease.html

Not sure if this the right place but since some of the XMRV talk is about B cells I thought I put it in here.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
  3. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thank you both - very interesting indeed - herpes viruses high profile now.
  4. redo

redo Senior Member

The B cell depleting agent Rituximab have worked on both MS and RA in some studies, so I think it makes sense.
  5. redo

redo Senior Member

If indeed the B cells are what's causing problems in RA and MS, I guess the natural question is: What makes the B cells act funny. I am guessing a virus has "camped" inside them...
  6. aprilk1869

aprilk1869 Senior Member

Scotland, UK
    Some time ago I got the free booklet on probiotics from iherb. In the booklet it says:-

7. In Vitro Infidelium

In Vitro Infidelium Guest

Abstract http://bloodjournal.hematologylibra...ract?sid=101a7e37-da8e-4049-a4de-85a13cbed3f9

This is a mouse study with only a tenuous linkage to humans "We were able to detect a similar population of B cells in the peripheral blood of some elderly women with autoimmune disease, suggesting that there may be parallels between the creation of ABC-like cells between mice and humans."

IVI
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    There are already quite a number of studies linking B-cell autoimmune activity to certain diseases, so this sort of finding is not unexpected.

IVI - I guess that is why the title is "suggests" and not "shows" or "proves"...
  9. fla

fla Senior Member

Montreal, Canada
    Any study aimed at improving understanding the the underlying mechanisms of auto-immunity are welcome. The NCF's (National CFIDS Foundation) working hypothesis has been that M.E. is an auto-immune condition since 2009 Hokama et al found a 95% hit rate in M.E. patients.

Note this is a human study with only tenuous linkage to mice.
  10. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Why do I have the feeling this auto-immunity is caused by the immune system targeting viruses, though (viruses we might not be able to detect at the moment)? So many young acquaintances are falling ill with auto-immune disorders (MS, Wegener's granulomatosis, etc), it ain't funny anymore...

See more popular forum discussions.