• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-12 - The Shorter Story?

Freddd

B vitamins found to slow progression of dementia

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39066636/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition
Daily tablets of large doses of B vitamins can halve the rate of brain shrinkage in elderly people with memory problems and may slow their progression toward dementia, data from a British trial showed on Wednesday,
Scientists from Oxford University said their two-year clinical trial was the largest to date into the effect of B vitamins on so-called "mild cognitive impairment" -- a major risk factor for Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.

Smith and colleagues conducted a two-year trial with 168 volunteers with MCI who were given either a vitamin pill containing very high doses of folic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, or a placebo dummy pill.
These B vitamins are known to control levels of an amino acid called homocysteine in the blood, and high blood levels of homocysteine are linked to an increased risk of developing Alzheimer's disease.

Read the rest at the link.

xchocoholic

Hi Fred,

I saw earlier in this thread where you were talking about not having the enzymes to create the active forms of B12 and thought what I'm experiencing may help.

I started taking Twinlab Pancreatin quadruple strength 3 - 4 times a day about 5 days ago and now I have WAY too much energy. I've been taking ADB12, MB12, folate, pregnenolone, DHEA and testosterone for a couple of months now and feeling more energized than I have in 20 years ... but this is new and different. It's hard for me to rest during the day and I can't sleep without taking 100 - 200 mg of theanine and 100 mg of 5HTP.

I've taken a variety of other digestive enzymes for the last 4 years but this is the first time I've ever felt energized from taking one. I chose this one because it has more lipase than most. I'm a celiac and had my gall bladder removed years ago and noticed that lipase was recommended in either case.

What do you think ? Is lipase needed to create the active forms of B12 ? ... thanks ... X