• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Hi All,

I have been working up my dosage of B12 for about a year now. I am up to 10mg methyb12 and 3mg adb12 but I'm having a hard time zeroing in on the right dosage of folate. I guess I'm unique in that I don't have any MTHFR mutations so it would make sense that I don't need as much folate, right? 1600mcg a day seems like the right dosage for me because anytime I take more I feel yucky--major headache, cold extremities, temp drops and more fatigue. Is there anyone here who doesn't have MTHFR mutations that has found the right dose? I question if I should be taking more but don't want too much in ratio to B12 because I genetically only have a need for B12.

Noelle

Tammy

Hi All,

I have been working up my dosage of B12 for about a year now. I am up to 10mg methyb12 and 3mg adb12 but I'm having a hard time zeroing in on the right dosage of folate. I guess I'm unique in that I don't have any MTHFR mutations so it would make sense that I don't need as much folate, right? 1600mcg a day seems like the right dosage for me because anytime I take more I feel yucky--major headache, cold extremities, temp drops and more fatigue. Is there anyone here who doesn't have MTHFR mutations that has found the right dose? I question if I should be taking more but don't want too much in ratio to B12 because I genetically only have a need for B12.

Noelle
I would go by what your body is telling you............forget about the ratio. If taking more folate is making you feel bad with worse symptoms............don't do it! I don't have the MTHFR mutations either.............I have been taking B12 without any added folate for the last 5 1/2 months without any problems.

Hi All
im on below protocol for 3 months.

i have too much gas due to potassium, any advice on best practices, to reduce gas.

I make a solution of 750ML with the below and sip it through the day away from folate.

+ 1200 Mg Now Potassium Gluconate ( 2 Teaspoon)
+ 4000 Mg+ of Now Vitamin C ( 1.25 Teaspoon)
+ 5gm of Healthy Origins D-Ribose ( 1 Teaspoon)

apart i take 7.5 mg x3 times = 22.5 Mg Folate + 15 Mg B12( country life) + 4 mg B12 ( Enzymatic Therapy) + 10Mg Source Natural ADb12. + other vitamin (A, B , C D E ) + minerals + Omega 3

Thanks Tammy. I thought I might be the only one without MTHFR. I guess we are lucky. I think I'm going to stay where I'm at with the folate.

The symptoms should tell u if u need more folate. low folate gives me Acne, body ache, total discomfort , i feel freddd is rht on symptoms of low folate ( or paradoxical folate Deficiency) pls refer that guide,

i dont have MTHFR, however im comfortable at 22mg.

Last edited:
I used footbaths to take my potassium, aminos, other minerals. It works great, less for the gut to cope with. I seemed to need the same amount as taking them orally.

Thanks Ahmo -

Wow G8 idea & interesting to know absorption is same, can you share how long (minutes)/ how many times a day should we use / what time of the day gives better results, .

Also curious to know you current dose of potassium, do we need large doses even at later stages.

i am supplementing amino with (Thorne) plant based protein shake. also planing to try capsules..

Good to know you took/take aminos.. curious to know what brand/form (was it only by footbaths or any other additional ways too) ..

Last edited:

ahmo

Wow G8 idea & interesting to know absorption is same, can you share how long (minutes)/ how many times a day should we use / what time of the day gives better results, .
I generally used FB AM/PM, 15-20 minutes. I've compiled some comments in a blog, but the entries there might have more to do w/ detox. Temperature according to comfort: in warm weather, straight out of the tap.

Also curious to know you current dose of potassium, do we need large doses even at later stages.
I'm no longer using K+, except rarely.:woot: That's the good news: My needs for folate, B12, K+ have all plummeted over time.

Good to know you took/take aminos.. curious to know what brand/form (was it only by footbaths or any other additional ways too) ..
I used NOW or Source Naturals powders, occasionally non-branded bulk powder. Once I started FB, that's how I took them all. As long as I had my feet in the water, I put all my powders into it. Also at that time, minerals in capsules, I'd add as well.

Johnmac

As a matter of interest ahmo, what were all your powders?

After 6 months, & as dosages rise, I'm getting quite bad GIT burning from KI, & will have to switch to another way of getting my K. Interested to confirm if it's compatible with epsom salts & others in a footbath.

And how much KI did you put in a footbath?

Finally, I travel a lot. So I won't always be able to do footbaths. Which foods might give me enough K to replace one big capsule full of the stuff? (I take these caps 3 times a day.) Plenty of bananas & coconut water here in Cambodia.

ahmo

As a matter of interest ahmo, what were all your powders?
I was using Bicarb in most every FB, working on detox. GABA, glycine, Vit C, Ca, at times Zinc, selenium, malic acid (which replaced ornithine, arginine, citrulline, lysine, all of which I used in FB),

And how much KI did you put in a footbath?
Using NOW K=gluconate, about 1 gm.

Finally, I travel a lot. So I won't always be able to do footbaths.
Coconut water and bananas! :)I had to travel once when I was immersed in, dependent on FBs for detox. I used a small plastic container which started life as a refrigerator drawer. It was light witght, fit easily into my suitcase, with other things packed into it.

Johnmac

Thanks again ahmo. I'm new to transdermal, & didn't realise all those things went easily thru your skin.

I've stocked up on coconuts & bananas. So far they're doing the trick (no K deficiency symptoms).

More generally, I have been stable for a while on 7.2 mg m-folate/day - which given that I do it sublingually may equate to roughly 14mg (?). Which I'm guessing may be somewhere near an average for FP people. (The high-users seem to top out around 40 or 50 - but Fred said few will need those amounts.)

I hope that's the max, & I can start to come down after a while - but we'll see.

Certainly the benefits to gut, mood, blood sugar response & above all energy have been great. I would say I don't have much chronic fatigue now, & my hydrocortisone dose has dropped to 1/6th, & my DHEA to 1/3. I've gone off T3 (thyroid) altogether.

Thanks again & all the best...

Last edited:
Hi All

i just made 3 attempts to start LCF, im titrating using Liquid LCF from Jarrow. started with 3-4 drops.

by the second day i get a terrible pulsating headache and feel flu-ish, once i stop in 2 days it reverses.

i have only heard of anxiety with LCF, but this is weired, has any one come across this or know possible reason.

Johnmac

Haven't struck those symptoms from carnitine. But this site lists all as carnitine sfx.

You are titrating according to the Freddd plan?

Does "3-4 drops" mean you put 1 drop of the carnitine in 98 drops of water; then take 3-4 drops of that solution?

(BTW, is weired a combination of weird and wired?)

Haven't struck those symptoms from carnitine. But this site lists all as carnitine sfx.

You are titrating according to the Freddd plan?

Does "3-4 drops" mean you put 1 drop of the carnitine in 98 drops of water; then take 3-4 drops of that solution?

(BTW, is weired a combination of weird and wired?)

Thanks Johnmac for the link.. it does mention

"Some of the side effects that can occur with levocarnitine may not need medical attention. As your body adjusts to the medicine during treatment these side effects may go away."

and mentions

More common

• Abdominal or stomach cramps
  • diarrhea
  • headache
  • nausea or vomiting

yes im on Freddd plan

3-4 drops is direct/plain 3-4 drops ( less than a ml) of the jarrow liquid LCF( 15ml = 1000mg), i don't further dilute it.

since its liquid, i drop it under my tongue, guess absorption is pretty high, and hits me hard for just 2-3 drops( less than a ml)

sorry i meant "weird" .. great observation!!

im between my exams, so dint get much time to google. :nervous: , while battling with startup, just 3 months into the protocol, but on basic B12 for past 3 yrs.

Johnmac

And fever is in there too. (You said you were flu-like.)

If you are as sensitive to carnitine as I am (admittedly only a few are), you would need to start lower than that. I have built up to 2 mg over several months. Starting as you have would have floored me.

My synopsis of Freddd's liquid carnitine titration method:

Put 98 drops of water in a small glass. Put 1 drop of liquid carnitine in.

Take 1 drop of that solution & put it in a glass of water. That gives you a 100mcg dose.

Drink that on an empty stomach. Do that 3 times a day.

Next day do the same, but add one extra drop to one dose. Day 3 add one extra drop to 2 doses - etc. So you double the overall dose every 3 days.

If you want to speed up the titration, you can take the drops hourly.

Keep the original solution in the frig for the day. Discard at the end of the day.

If you get anxious, drop back to the original dose. Then when it abates, increase by 1 drop a day.

After several months to a year of 'feathering', you end up stable on 1 to 2-3 doses a day.

Good luck...

ahmo

Hi All

i just made 3 attempts to start LCF, im titrating using Liquid LCF from Jarrow. started with 3-4 drops.

by the second day i get a terrible pulsating headache and feel flu-ish, once i stop in 2 days it reverses.

i have only heard of anxiety with LCF, but this is weired, has any one come across this or know possible reason.
Sounds like it may have started a detox/herx reaction. You might need something to help elimination, eg. herbs, or coffee enemas.

And fever is in there too. (You said you were flu-like.)

If you are as sensitive to carnitine as I am (admittedly only a few are), you would need to start lower than that. I have built up to 2 mg over several months. Starting as you have would have floored me.

My synopsis of Freddd's liquid carnitine titration method:

Put 98 drops of water in a small glass. Put 1 drop of liquid carnitine in.

Take 1 drop of that solution & put it in a glass of water. That gives you a 100mcg dose.

Drink that on an empty stomach. Do that 3 times a day.

Next day do the same, but add one extra drop to one dose. Day 3 add one extra drop to 2 doses - etc. So you double the overall dose every 3 days.

If you want to speed up the titration, you can take the drops hourly.

Keep the original solution in the frig for the day. Discard at the end of the day.

If you get anxious, drop back to the original dose. Then when it abates, increase by 1 drop a day.

After several months to a year of 'feathering', you end up stable on 1 to 2-3 doses a day.

Good luck...

Thanks a ton Johnmac , for posting a detail recipe, makes lot of meaning, i will try this and update all in 2-3 weeks.

Sounds like it may have started a detox/herx reaction. You might need something to help elimination, eg. herbs, or coffee enemas.

Thanks a lot ahmo,

i was earlier doing coffee enemas, guess we also discussed of its great results, but i had discontinued it due to tight schedule, its definitely a great support to speed up and bump up dosage.
will restart it post my exams around Dec 22nd, and i would then know if i could tolerate higher dose with support of enemas.

thanks once again.

Could you or someone answer a question about weight gain. My family is following Freddd's protocol and we are gaining weight. We can tell it's edema but 7,000 mcg of Solgar folate every 3 hours is not reducing the weight or edema? We were taking Acetyl Carnitine (which worked better for us) but had to stop due to anxiety and increased heart rate. We are taking 5 mg of magnesium per lb. and all the correct brands/cofactors including B complex that doesn't exceed the levels in B1 B2 and B3 plus taking the other 3 deadlock quartet.
What could be causing this or are we missing something? We've been on the protocol for 6 months.
Thanks

ahmo

I'm not sure. For me, I'd be thinking of adrenals w/ edema. I found that high folate stresses my adrenals, at some point that has included fluid retention. But I tend toward low back inflammation first. And my fix for adrenals includes coffee enemas, to relieve the burden on liver, and thus ease adrenals. This is how I progressed over a couple years.

Are you taking potassium? The heart and anxiety could be K+ deficiency.