• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Lynn_M

Since my friend is homo for CBS C699T, I pay attention to those recommendations, and I've read in several places to avoid B6 with a CBS mutation.

A B-Complex in addition to B6 and B9 (folate) is recommended, although there is controversy about even that, because some people say they do better with just B2 rather than a complex, because the complexes don't have enough B2 in them. The Pure Encapsulations B Complex is good, but I wouldn't take it or any B-complex with L-5-MTHF in it until you know you're okay with that much L-5-MTHF. And wanting to avoid B6 probably means needing to avoid any B-complex. Some people take something by Douglas Labs, and I think I've seen others mentioned. There has been discussion about various B-complex brands.

You want to get sublingual methylcobalamin. Not sure what the nuggest is that you refer to. Freddd recommends getting the 5,000 mcg and cutting it into quarters or whatever. It's cheaper that way.

Do I get the sublingual b12 or just the regular 'nugget?' :) And the 1000 mcg's, not 5000, correct?

Hi Tara,

The Solgar nuggets that are under discussion right now (due to possible issues Jarrow) are sublingual. They're just called nuggets. Please see the link below. How much you want to order depends on what you need. Some people get a big reaction from 1 g. I don't even feel it. In fact I barely feel 10g. I need multipals of 5 g to get anywhere. It's all very inividual. You need to try it to know.

http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Sublingual-Methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-60-Nuggets/14221

Good luck!

And I'd ordered the following:

http://www.vitacost.com/source-natu...b-12-120-sublingual-tablets/?ntt=021078002666

Did I get the last two right? ;)

I guess it best to wait on the B-Complex then, until I know better where I'm at with the CBS and my sulphur. And I'll also probably wait with the other supplements until I can research each of them more, to find the best type/brand for each. I may check out Seeking Health and Dr. Yasko's line for some of the others, as I'm having trouble knowing which to trust with my sensitivities.

I've got cupboards full of supplements I've reacted to, and sifting through the ingredient lists for several hours yesterday left me pretty exhausted and still at a loss. I'd like to try and get what seems to work for others in the same boat, rather than just half-blindly shooting darts at the wall (while still understanding there's a lot of room for individuality, like has been said, for dosage and brands within everyone here too).

And I'd ordered the following:

http://www.vitacost.com/source-natu...b-12-120-sublingual-tablets/?ntt=021078002666

Did I get the last two right? ;)

I guess it best to wait on the B-Complex then, until I know better where I'm at with the CBS and my sulphur. And I'll also probably wait with the other supplements until I can research each of them more, to find the best type/brand for each. I may check out Seeking Health and Dr. Yasko's line for some of the others, as I'm having trouble knowing which to trust with my sensitivities.

I've got cupboards full of supplements I've reacted to, and sifting through the ingredient lists for several hours yesterday left me pretty exhausted and still at a loss. I'd like to try and get what seems to work for others in the same boat, rather than just half-blindly shooting darts at the wall (while still understanding there's a lot of room for individuality, like has been said, for dosage and brands within everyone here too).

Hi Tara,

The stuff that you ordered looks fine. It's the right stuff I think. If you tolerate these doses well, you can always order larger ones.

What does SKU stand for?

The SKU is just a product reference number. I use them for comparison shopping purposes.

It looks like I ordered cobalamin rather than methylcobalamin. Was the methyl what made it safe and usable by our bodies? Should I order that and not take the cobalamin? And aren't the Enzymatic Therapy B12 infusion and Jarrow methyl b12 the same thing? Both are methylcobalamin. Seriously, even with the 'vitamin and supplement guide', this is all just such a mess. I've never had more trouble trying to figure out what to do to get started on something, let alone once I get to start taking them, and the can of worms that'll open...

Lynn_M

Cobalamin is the general category of B12, but cyanocobalamin, hydroxycobalamin, or methylcobalamin are the forms that you actually take. Usually if an unspecified cobalamin is in an ingredient list, it's most likely cyanocobalamin. But you should be able to find out for sure which form of cobalamin you ordered.

Enzymatic Therapy B12 Infusion and Jarrow methyl B12 are both methylcobalamins. Freddd says he can tell a difference when he takes one versus the other, so that's why he recommends both. They're created by the fermentation of bacteria, so that live process means there will be variations in the final product, even within the same manufacturer.

Interesting. Since I've heard methylcobalamin referred to more often, would that be the form I should take (rather than what is most likely cyanocobalamin then)? And with Freddd's recommendation for both Enzymatic Therapy and Jarrow, is this to give us the option to choose either/or, or to take both for more complete supplementation?

Lynn_M

You do not want to take cyanocobalamin. Freddd and Rich disagree about whether one should take hydroxycobalamin or methylcobalamin, but Rich agrees that for certain genetic polymorphisms, methylcobalamin may be needed. I haven't seen Rich specify which polymorphisms, but I would think people with MTHFR would do better with methylcobalamin.

Freddd feels Enzymatic Therapy and Jarrow mB12 each offers something the other doesn't, so he recommends to take both.

Since the consensus seems to be that everyone's switching to the Solgar methylcobalamin though, do you think it best to take that alone, or combine it with the Enzymatic Therapy then?

Anteah

Hi, i am kind of sort of new at all this stuff, but I read this board for a while now and just recently decided to try Jarro MethylBQW and dibencozide. However, both of them have artificial sweetners and flavors. I am on GFCF and no sweetner diet because of candida issues. Does anyone know how sublingual sweetners such as Sorbitol and Xylitol affect candida? I did my best not to swallow any while the tablet dissolved, so if any ammount went though GI tract it was insignificant, but what about those sweetmers entering my blood does that matter? Would love to hear a fellow candida sufferers experience with those lozenges. Thanks in advance!

Anteah, my guess would be that the amount of sweetener in the product is negligable, and wouldn't significantly affect your candida. I suspect we're pretty much all in the same boat on that one (at least I am), but I'm trying to choose my battles with supplementation, as there doesn't seem to be any across the board, trigger free brands. And for me, candida is falling further down on the totem pole of tackling this mess...

Does anyone know if the Solgar Folate (Metafolin) is to be swallowed, or also taken sublingual?

Anteah

Hi, Tara! Thanks for the answer. Yes that what guys in the gut section have said, so thats good news. Yes seems like we are all in very similar boats indeed. I do understand candida becoming less of an issue when other things are still not alright, and thats why while I try my best to keep candida low, I am continuing to keep looking because i have not been able to completely get rid of it yet, despite strict diet and constant anti-candida supplementation. Something else is not being addressed, i agree. I actually was also wondering if Methylfolate is to be taken sublingually or swallowed.

I'm thinking since the methylfolate is said to be the most problematic, and we should start with crumbs, I may end up just taking the crumbs sublingually and see how long I can get them to last...

I, too, was on a really strict anti-candida diet for the past year+. It helped significantlyy, and has made a nice dent in my progress, but then I started to really go downhill again and I realized there was more to the puzzle than just diet. Candida seems to be more of a byproduct/result of the genetic and metals situation (let alone whatever viral issues are going on).

Have you found a doctor in Vegas that's been helpful? I just moved from there a year and a half ago (I lived out there for 5 1/2 years), and saw practically every doctor in town. I did a lot of work with Dr. Royal (formerly of his New Hope Medical Center), but felt no significant relief. I also went to the Fibro. & Fatigue Center for over a year, and got regular IV's there, also without much relief...

Anteah

Oh that's cool that you lived in Vegas too! For me since I am uninsured many doors are closed. I went (10 years ago before I researched much of anything yet) to DI med Center (walk in clinic) to see their staff doc for depression, he gave me Celexa and sent me home, which did help me, but is really just a patch to something deeper going on. I didn't want to be on synthetic drugs for the rest of my life, so i quit and started taking 5htp and turmeric instead, which have been somewhat successful. When i had migraine he gave me some barbiturates and caffeine and Loretabs (!!!...) and same way 15 minutes later i was sent on my way. Caffeine in barbiturates have been taxing my adrenals like nothing else for years that I've been taking those, and my doc didn't even consider it. Caused my crash in 2010.

The common expectation here in Vegas seems like if you dont have insurance and you are going to a walk in clinic with pain and depression then you must be a drug seeker.. so they load you up with those to keep you coming back. He was surprised to actually see a real injury (a severe compression fracture of a vertabra) on exray, which he asked me to do a year into a treatment for posterity, kind of tells you how much of a pill pushing was going on. All my life I happened to work for companies that hire mostly independent contractors so insurance has never been available to me. At this point I have been researching all this for a while and tend to think that none of the allopathic practitioners in town are knowledgeable enough to deal with this issue successfully, insurance or not, so I am saving up my money to do Dr. Yasko test (or 23andme and convert to Yasko, which is cheaper) and have already spoke to and will start with April Hauge at autismnti.net, she seems promising. I have a lot of neurological, ocd, mood, autism-like (pretty mild, but bothersome) issues and she personally has 2 children who have recovered from similar issues using nutrigenomic testing and approach, so that is my next step and hope.

As far as methylfolate I have just recently started on both that and mb12 and feel ok, but caught a cold, so had to take a day off work today to recover. Not sure if that sudden immune system fall is due to me starting mb12, since some say some symptoms may worsen at first, and one of mine is a subdued immune system, or is the whole thing just an unlucky coincidence. So far i just feel more energy, sharper sences, sort of a better mood, but will know better in few days hopefully once I recover from this cold.

It is odd that as many docs as you have tried here they haven't been able to help, even at a specialized center. What IVs have they been giving you? What are your symptoms?

I got some the the Jarrow 5,000 mcg B12 today. I recall reading that you keep it under your tongue for an hour or more. What's the trick as in 15 minutes or so the thing is completely dissolved! Thanks in advance.