• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-12 shot and sudden on set of extreme fatigue?

So I was give a shot of B-12 by one of my family member who is a doc. After few hours I felt a sudden onset of extreme fatigue that was relieve by taking a nap.

I thought B-12 shot will give you energy, not cause fatigue...with sensation feeling of being full, headaches in your head..

What do you all think?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So I was give a shot of B-12 by one of my family member who is a doc. After few hours I felt a sudden onset of extreme fatigue that was relieve by taking a nap.

I thought B-12 shot will give you energy, not cause fatigue...with sensation feeling of being full, headaches in your head..

What do you all think?

What type of B12 was it and how much? B12 is a complex vitamin. The inactive form (the form that doctors most often give) takes something like 5 biochemical transformations to become active in the body and some people are genetically unable to make those changes.

The two active forms don't have that problem but can set other biochemical reactions in motion. Of course methylation is one of those.

So, tell us more!

Sushi

SOC

What do you all think?
I'd think your family member who is a doc would be the best person to answer your questions.

When I first took a half dose drop of hydroxo-B12 it knocked me off my feet with immense fatigue. Over the course of the day it progressed to allover bone-deep pain that kept me from sleeping and near-nonstop watery diarrhoea. I thought I might need to go to the hospital, but I took a methylfolate tablet and it all stopped.

Just a heads up in case anyone ever experiences similar. If your symptoms don't progress like mine did perhaps you could be a bit low in some cofactor nutrients. There are some suggestions in the methylation protocol guides I think.

taniaaust1

I too had a bad reaction to my first hydroxo B12 injection. In my case it was like it caused toxins to suddenly release from my body for clearing.

I ended up with a face of weeping sores which made me look like a long term acid drug addict. I do want to say as I'd been warned that there can be start up reactions to it that I decided to continue on with having it and Im glad I did as I ended up finding it helpful for my brain which it helped immensely. Im nowdays on methyl B12 which helps me in more ways then the hydrox B12 did

Allyson

I have heard it takes a while to adapt to 12 shots -

I started one pe 14 days and now have one every week

when I first had them I would feel restless and a bit breathless the first few hours and not sleep well that night

now I don't not notice that so much

they help me sleep much better
I think it is because they seem to stop the polydipsia and nocturia I have normally - when the shot wears off after about 6- 8 days they start to return...
not sure why - my geneticist says B 12 is essential to buld connective tissue
B 12 also boosts blood volume

they are one of the best things I have taken

stick with it - and the sleepiness could have been coincidental

Ally

I'd think your family member who is a doc would be the best person to answer your questions.

Hes the one who gives me B-12 shots. He says hes never heard of someone being fatigue from shot and that if it makes me not feel good then I should not ask for them.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
What type of B12 was it and how much? B12 is a complex vitamin. The inactive form (the form that doctors most often give) takes something like 5 biochemical transformations to become active in the body and some people are genetically unable to make those changes.

The two active forms don't have that problem but can set other biochemical reactions in motion. Of course methylation is one of those.

So, tell us more!

Sushi

RedLineBoy

Hi, I'm quoting my earlier post--again, tell us more so we can respond.

Sushi

valentinelynx

Me, too. B12 shots make me feel horrible for a few days. In this case it has been cyanocobalamin. Don't understand it at all.