1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Awful sounding Vs. silly sounding! Disease names & their impact!

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by FernRhizome, Apr 6, 2010.

1. FernRhizome

FernRhizome Senior Member

As the media buzzes with XMRV articles this week I was struck by the irony of the following sentence in one of the articles:

"The virus, dubbed XMRV for the awful-sounding xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus . . ."
    from Cancer News Today

What a fast turnabout XMRV is making in the public understanding of CFS from the "silly sounding" name of "chronic fatigue syndrome" to something "awful-sounding."

2. Eric Johnson from I&I

Eric Johnson from I&I Senior Member

It's the perfect name to evoke a grave regard. An ominous technical Greek word, then "leukemia," and finally not one but two "virus"es.

3. Sunday

Sunday Senior Member

I agree about the name appropriateness, thanks for the spellout.

Although I can't help a frivolous response: what is a "virus-related virus"??? Is that like a chicken-related chicken? Or rice-related rice?

4. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

More like saying "a friend of a friend". (or of Friend) :Retro wink:

wow, I actually made a retrovirology pun

5. FernRhizome

FernRhizome Senior Member

You all got me laughing.....yes virus-related virus sounds so doubly viral intense! Scary for sure! Great retrovirology pun dr. yes....

See more popular forum discussions.