• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autoimmunity Question

PhoenixBurger

This is a general question on autoimmunity.

Is it common for a person with an autoimmune disorder developing, to show "positive" for antibodies to diseases that are not currently present, but were in the past?

There is a syndrome called IRIS where this happens, but its a very strange phenomenon. People who once had CMV may show positive IGG (acute) infection antibodies even when no acute infection is happening. Same goes for other already-resolved infections from their past. The key is that they always test negative on the actual PCR looking for viral replication. There is none.

When someone has autoimmunity developing, in general, is this a common thing to see? Positive antibody tests to things but negative PCR's? Or does this seem to be fairly rare and not usually associated with traditional autoimmune disease...

Thanks

Legendrew

I have heard of diseases where you get large clonal expansion of a wide variety of antibodies so I guess it's possible