1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Autoimmunity Question

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by PhoenixBurger, May 5, 2013.

1. PhoenixBurger

PhoenixBurger Senior Member

This is a general question on autoimmunity.

Is it common for a person with an autoimmune disorder developing, to show "positive" for antibodies to diseases that are not currently present, but were in the past?

There is a syndrome called IRIS where this happens, but its a very strange phenomenon. People who once had CMV may show positive IGG (acute) infection antibodies even when no acute infection is happening. Same goes for other already-resolved infections from their past. The key is that they always test negative on the actual PCR looking for viral replication. There is none.

When someone has autoimmunity developing, in general, is this a common thing to see? Positive antibody tests to things but negative PCR's? Or does this seem to be fairly rare and not usually associated with traditional autoimmune disease...

Thanks

2. Legendrew

Legendrew Content team

UK
    I have heard of diseases where you get large clonal expansion of a wide variety of antibodies so I guess it's possible

See more popular forum discussions.