1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Autoimmunity, Anti Virals and herpes viruses

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by user9876, Jul 18, 2012.

1. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

There seem to be theories of ME being a viral infection hence treatment with anti virals along with theories that it is an auto immune disease leading to treatment with rituximab. I was wondering if there was some relationship between autoimmunity and viral action and hence antivirals.

I found this paper that seems to relate these concepts - hence I thought it might be of interest.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1065340/
    Not comming from a biological background I'm not convinced I understand the paper but as I see it what they are saying is that were someone has an auto immune disease this will attract B/T cells to the site being attacked. Some of these may contain a herpes type virus, this could lead to the virus becomming active at that site hence causing a relapse. Therefore they suggest the use of anti-virals (partiularly where patients are on immune suppressants). There seem to have been a number of interesting mouse experiments refered to in the paper.
    Bob likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.