1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Autoimmune treatment hope

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ecoclimber, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Mercer Island Wa
    http://sciencealert.com.au/news/20132701-23998.html

Autoimmune treatment hope
    Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
    Monday, 28 January 2013

When a patient has autoimmune disease, two proteins, Bax and Bak, are faulty in certain immune cells, causing them to live on after they should have died. But a newly developed drug could kill these cells, potentially helping to treat the disease.

[​IMG]
    When a patient has autoimmune disease, two proteins, Bax and Bak, are faulty in certain immune cells, causing them to live on after they should have died. But a newly developed drug could kill these cells, potentially helping to treat the disease.
    Image: Henrik5000/iStockphoto

Melbourne researchers have discovered that the death of immune system cells is an important safeguard against the development of diseases such as type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, which occur when the immune system attacks the body’s own tissues.

The finding suggests that these so-called autoimmune diseases could be treated with existing medications that force long-lived immune system cells to die.

Eco

2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    More great research findings - thanks Ecoclimber.

3. Persimmon

Persimmon Senior Member

WEHI has a fantastic track record - breakthrough after breakthrough in immunology. (I'll post something separate on WEHI.) Hopefully this new finding will prove to be biggie, and one that directly helps us.

4. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

5. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

6. Lynn

Lynn Senior Member

I wonder if this could be the reason that Rituximab works for a while in some patients. Maybe it kills off the cells that have been impacted by Bax and Bak proteins and gives the body a chance to heal. It might also explain the relapse afterwords as well.

Lynn

SpecialK82 likes this.
  7. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    Thanks Eco for posting, great news, I hope that this study goes somewhere for us.

PS - cool picture of immune cells too ;)

8. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Another cancer drug that could be helpful. Sometimes I think getting cancer may not be such a bad thing for us - then perhaps we could get some treatment - what with this and rituximab.

taniaaust1 likes this.
  9. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

cancer drugs are helpful for all kinds of things but its never a permanent solution :-/

10. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

I just posted news about a new drug, that could treat asthma at the underlying cause of the disease. Originally it was developed for cancer as well.

See more popular forum discussions.