• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autoimmune Basis for Postural Tachycardia Syndrome

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Some feedback if anyone is interested in Autoimmune POTS?

I've had my adrenergic receptor antibodies tested, namely:

alpha 1, alpha 2, beta 1, beta 2.

All of the antibodies I tested for were present in myself at elevated levels (to varying degrees) and ideally no one should have antibodies to adrenergic receptors so that's 'good' in terms of me wanting to see if I have possible Autoimmune POTS or not.

However, it should be remembered that healthy people or people without POTS can make antibodies to all sorts of things they shouldn't do. It should also be noted there are many forms of adrenergic receptor (not just the ones I listed) and these often cannot be tested for due to no commercial labs offering the tests, and potentially other antibodies exist in POTS that haven't been discovered yet by Scientists.

Anyway, my highest antibody result was on alpha 2.

Wikipedia has this entry what that receptor does (NB: I cannot vouch for any accuracy on Wikipedia as anyone can edit it).

Individual actions of the α2 receptor include:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-2_adrenergic_receptor

I have no idea if this makes me a possible 'responder' to future treatment or not, or what symptoms (if any) it would produce, maybe someone can kindly theorise for me and 'us'?

Either way, until the Dr Kem study is complete (they had a healthy anonymous donation in 2015 for 3 years work), and the findings published we don't know what the novel medication proposed is (looks like it's IV at the moment) and we don't know which receptors needs to be at pathogenic levels to be able to be 'blocked' to stop the vasodilation/vasoconstriction, causing symptoms and disability.

Think of this as being an ME sufferer and not knowing if you'll respond to B Cell depletion therapy or not. I would presume unless one has markedly high levels, then one won't. I am thus guessing the same idea, would apply for POTS adrenergic antibodies in POTS patients,e.g. are they at 'pathogenic levels' or not......or just slightly elevated, the inference being if only slightly elevated, they wouldn't be high enough to be causing POTS symptoms.

And after al that, you then need other groups in other countries to find the same finding to really have made a breakthrough.

I would imagine it's going to be at least a few more years until we have some more solid evidence for Autoimmune POTS being not only a diagnosable condition, but a treatable one. :balloons:

We then have a problem with people like myself and so many others, that you may well have treated POTS (great), but then you still have ME, Lyme, EDS etc on top and the secondary effects this can cause such as multiple allergies,heart failure, arthritis cancers etc. 'Curing' or should I say effectively treating one autoimmune disease in ME or POTS sufferers (who have multiple diseases), would still be an incredible achievement though and dreamed about by all.

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
I've had my adrenergic receptor antibodies tested, namely:

alpha 1, alpha 2, beta 1, beta 2.
Hi @Research 1st thanks for your post. this gives me a lot of hope! I was just searching labs & researchers who can do that test. Would you tell where you got that test done?

And do you have more warm skin compared to other people? Need more warm cloth? I have this and just thought it would make sense that adrenergic receptor antibodies do that: if adrenergic vasoconstriction is impaired, then blood vessels are more dilated. -> warm skin + more loss of heat.

Last edited:

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Hi @Research 1st thanks for your post. this gives me a lot of hope! I was just searching labs & researchers who can do that test. Would you tell where you got that test done?

And do you have more warm skin compared to other people? Need more warm cloth? I have this and just thought it would make sense that adrenergic receptor antibodies do that: if adrenergic vasoconstriction is impaired, then blood vessels are more dilated. -> warm skin + more loss of heat.

Hello. I'll PM you.

anciendaze

Just wanted to point out that people I've been following who test positive for antibodies to N-type calcium channels all have substantial problems with POTS and OI which is made worse by beta-blockers. So far, I don't know any cases which test positive for only a single autoantibody.

In my own case I have OI without significant tachycardia, so antibodies to adrenergic receptors would be plausible. So far, I've been told that tests for antibodies to adrenergic receptors are research tests of no use in clinical medicine. I suspect this is a limitation of the people I'm talking to. Can anyone point to tests available outside a research setting which an ordinary M.D. would take seriously?

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Just wanted to point out that people I've been following who test positive for antibodies to N-type calcium channels all have substantial problems with POTS and OI which is made worse by beta-blockers. So far, I don't know any cases which test positive for only a single autoantibody.

In my own case I have OI without significant tachycardia, so antibodies to adrenergic receptors would be plausible. So far, I've been told that tests for antibodies to adrenergic receptors are research tests of no use in clinical medicine. I suspect this is a limitation of the people I'm talking to. Can anyone point to tests available outside a research setting which an ordinary M.D. would take seriously?

That's interesting Anciendaze. Are Voltage Gated Calcium Channel Antibodies (VGCC), the same as N-type?
I've done most of the 'extravagant' ones: VGCC, VGKC etc, related to neuropsych autoimmunity, didn't have a high score, but not all were zero antibodies. I'll find my results if it helps.

Also when you say test positive, do you mean not having a 'zero' (absent finding) result, or do you mean positive for clinical relevance on a reference range on a lab score.

One issue you and I both know is the autoimmune neurological diseases often require a high level of autoantibody to meet the disease criteria, and without these the result is called ''negative'', however if the patient actually gets a copy of their blood test, they weren't negative at all (zero antibody) they just had positive low-level antibodies.

For me personally I tend to find this, multiple positive low level antibodies to some quite rare things, all called 'negative' as they aren't high enough to meet existing neurological autoimmune disease criteria for that specific disease.

P.S

If you want to know how to get Adrenergic/Muscaranic Antibodies, PM me and I'll reply once my brain has a rest.

kangaSue

Are Voltage Gated Calcium Channel Antibodies (VGCC), the same as N-type?
Voltage Gated Calcium Channel Antibodies include 5 types, N, P/Q, L, R and T type.

VGCC and VGKC all have a "normal" range, you're only "positive" if you test over range. As you say, you can be told the result is "negative" but in a properly written report, you can have a finding of a lower level of antibody in the normal range meaning the antibody is known to occur in normals in the general population in this range without causing any issues. A zero usually means that no antibody level was found.

I'm interested to know what your results are.