• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Australian scientists make breakthrough in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome testing

RL_sparky

An email I received today:
Thank you for contacting us.
There are a number of publications in press which have a bearing and we are unable to comment on these, due to the aforementioned confidentiality issues.
NCNED is currently focused on these important research developments in order to benefit patients as soon as possible.
As our research depends on the generosity of those suffering from this illness as well as healthy controls, we are always welcoming of people who may be interested in participating in our studies. It would be greatly appreciated if you could share our request for participants and encourage people to contact us who are interested in participating.
Kind Regards,
Emily Knauth
Research Coordinator

National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases
Menzies Health Institute Queensland (MenziesHIQ)
Griffith University
Gold Coast Campus
Email:ncned@griffith.edu.au
Website: http://www.griffith.edu.au/health/national-centre-neuroimmunology-emerging-diseases
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Centre-for-Neuroimmunology-and-Emerging-Diseases-NCNED/301252900007181

*GG*

It will be solved before this research gets anywhere. A simple ELISA test will provide an easy test.

Oh yea, so why hasn't this been done already, pretty sure ELISA testing has been around for quite some time now?

GG

alex3619

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/chronic-fatigue-test-ready-commercialization

Staines told IFLScience the biomarkers come from single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), small genetic variations, affecting transient ion channel receptors. These SNPs predispose people to CFS. “In at least 70 to 80 percent of cases people have an infectious disease such as glandular fever which triggers a change in the expression of these SNPs,” Staines said. This induces both the symptoms – such as exhaustion, loss of memory and joint pain – and the Griffith team's biomarkers.

Another article but with more details. It seems they are claiming CFS is an ion channelopathy with specific snp risk factors, at least in the majority of patients. This of course has to be properly validated.

If this is the case then it might be why its a screening test, and not a diagnostic test. It looks for risk of CFS. Its part of a diagnostic work-up in this case, but not sufficient for diagnosis by itself. I am sure they are working on that.

I suspect we might be looking at microRNA changes involving ion channels. That will be interesting.

Its worth noting here that a postulated cause of electromagnetic sensitivity, according to Martin Pall, is a problem with electromagnetic interference with voltage gated ion channels.

Last edited:

BurnA

Another article but with more details. It seems they are claiming CFS is an ion channelopathy with specific snp risk factors, at least in the majority of patients. This of course has to be properly validated.

If this is the case then it might be why its a screening test, and not a diagnostic test. It looks for risk of CFS. Its part of a diagnostic work-up in this case, but not sufficient for diagnosis by itself. I am sure they are working on that.

I suspect we might be looking at microRNA changes involving ion channels. That will be interesting.

Its worth noting here that a postulated cause of electromagnetic sensitivity, according to Martin Pall, is a problem with electromagnetic interference with voltage gated ion channels.
I wish I could understand any of what you wrote but failing that, I am happy that you say it will be interesting :)

alex3619

I wish I could understand any of what you wrote but failing that, I am happy that you say it will be interesting :)
Interesting, but not yet proven in the published literature.

Bascially most cells, and maybe all calls, have channels that allow transmission of things through the cell membrane, which is otherwise a barrier. Sometimes these are simple things like calcium or sodium, but some complex molecules of small size can sometimes pass through. Such channels tend to be specific to one or perhaps a small range of molecules.

If these channels are found in immune cells, nerve cells etc. and the damage from an infection changes how they are regulated, then we might have too many or too few, or they might be too active or not active enough. So the immune cells don't work right, or the nerves, or whatever tissue it is in . Since these channels are in tissues widely through the body, this is consistent with a multi-system disease.

I think channelopathies have been proposed for CFS going back to the 90s. They just lacked sufficient proof.

Now what changes the ion channel function would most likely be epigenetic. Epigenetic factors change how genes are expressed, that is how many of a protein or RNA are made from the gene, and one mechanism to do this involves microRNA.

If proved, and tested enough, this might lead to both a diagnostic test, and targets for specific drug therapies. However given that more than one channel is likely to be involved, or more than one snp (single nucleotide polymorphism, or a change in one spot or nucleotide in a gene), its also possilble that CFS, and much of ME, might fracture into many different but related diseases. An analogous example of that would be haemochromatosis.

PS Mitochondria also use channels to pass substances through the mitochondrial membrane.

PPS I keep remembering related stuff. Many channels trigger changes inside the cell, and whether or how a cell functions can be altered by these. This is particularly the case with calcium channels.

Last edited:

Deltrus

That is really really cool considering how much phenibut effects me. It lowers voltage gated calcium channel activity.

Too much positive ions can cause neurons to discharge much more often, which is a pretty big deal considering 20% of the body's energy goes to the brain, and most of that energy is used to pump ions in and out of cells. When a neuron fires, it takes up a huge amount of energy to prime the neuron again. More positive ions in neurons = more neurons firing = more positive ions in neurons. For this reason, ion channel overactivation has an exponential effect on the amount of energy the brain uses.

In addition, high amounts of certain ions completely changes how a cell works. For example, in potassium deficiency, there is less positive potassium in a cell. And yet, instead of muscle cells being less active, potassium deficiency causes huge cramps. Usually less positive charge means less activation, but clearly the cell's mechanics get very disturbed when things get too far out of balance.

Coxsackie b virus causes epigenetic changes which decrease potassium in a cell and increase calcium. That is the mechanism of the muscle pain/tension the virus causes in acute cases. It makes me wonder if there are multiple ways for channelopathies to occur. Perhaps they can be localized to the area around a certain nerve, or in cases of epstein barr, perhaps it is whole body. Or even just b cells.

At any rate, it takes energy to keep ions at the right concentration. Ion balance is potential energy in the body, just like how a basketball in the air has potential energy which can be release by letting it fall. We let the ions "fall" into place and this is what drives the body. To me, it makes perfect sense that CFS is a channelopathy disorder, and therefore a potential energy disorder.

More info on wikipedia at:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanism_of_anoxic_depolarization_in_the_brain

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_potential

Last edited:

alicec

Carl

Oh yea, so why hasn't this been done already, pretty sure ELISA testing has been around for quite some time now?

GG
ELISA tests can detect infections which is the cause of CFS! A chronic bacteria infection protected by a biofilm which maintains the digestive permeability to benefit the bacteria.

I realised the cause and have worked out how it works and why people get the symptoms that they do. Some of the simplest and totally ignored symptoms are the most telling. They have been ignored thinking that they are insignificant symptoms whereas they reveal the cause!

Carl

Wow, problem solved.
A touch of sarcasm I think. However you do not know of what you speak. I have solved it but just like researchers themselves you quickly dismiss what is most telling. The most revealing symptom of them all. That is a mistake that I did not make! I connected it all up and found the cause. Hard to believe that I beat the worlds best? lol keep waiting for your precious researchers to catch up and it will probably take many, many years to find this, especially in it's location. Right under their noses but they do not have the intelligence to actually think about where it is most likely to be. Why these bacteria have so far not been found. I estimate that a very high percentage of something like over 60% of the population is infected by these bacteria, including the vast majority of the elderly. It is only when they attack a certain location which makes CFS occur, at other slightly offset points other autoimmune illnesses occur. All create Increased Intestinal Permeability and allow large food molecules to enter the blood stream causing an immune response including increased histamine. These bacteria benefit from this, it helps them exist. A feedback mechanism where they take advantage of the normal human response in order to live and survive.

Urease! Where does all the ammonia come from????

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
ELISA tests can detect infections which is the cause of CFS! A chronic bacteria infection protected by a biofilm which maintains the digestive permeability to benefit the bacteria.

I realised the cause and have worked out how it works and why people get the symptoms that they do. Some of the simplest and totally ignored symptoms are the most telling. They have been ignored thinking that they are insignificant symptoms whereas they reveal the cause!

If it's so cheap and easy, set up a rigorous study and prove it!

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
Why these bacteria have so far not been found. I estimate that a very high percentage of something like over 60% of the population is infected by these bacteria, including the vast majority of the elderly. It is only when they attack a certain location which makes CFS occur, at other slightly offset points other autoimmune illnesses occur.
Oh, the mystery. Are we supposed to tease it out of you?