Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Australian Neuro-immune center - Possible 'extremely significant' theory' for CFS?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Cort, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

This is good; look at this she established a Center to examine CFS and similar diseases. She's looking at auto-immunity which is getting some play. The CAA tried to get 2 grants funded on autoimmunity and CFS and now there is the Rituximab stuff.

I wonder which markers she is looking at.

They sound excited about their theory.......

This is extremely significant at an international level and, if the theory proves to be true, it will greatly assist CFS sufferers and the physicians who treat them.”

I've emailed her...

They must have preliminary data and they talk of 4 other labs looking at the same area....getting interesting.....

2. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    What is the source of this, Cort?

3. Cort

4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    hi cort,
    i am in one of their studies now, they are measuring nk function in cfs people and finding dysfunction in nk bright cells(i think this will be the 'test' for cfs), this is over an 18 month period with 6 months to go, testing is done every 6 months. Theres also another young lady Eku(think thats her name) is also studying our cytokine profiles but we arent getting any results/feedback on this yet, only nk bright cells. There seems to be alot of money/grants these guys are getting. Dr staines has mentioned Rituximab a few times but not to any great degree. When xmrv is brought up they dont seem interested, but all of us in the study are hoping the will test us for xmrv/mlv while they have a big group of cfs patients to test.

cheers!!!

5. jackson

jackson

Thanks heapsreal. Here is a quote from a paper they published. I could be wrong but it seems the NK bright subset is playing a significant role in innate immune regulation whereas the NK dim is more cytotoxic.

"Significant decreases in neutrophil respiratory burst, NK cytotoxic activity and CD56(bright)CD16(-) NK phenotypes in comparison to healthy controls"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20064266

6. Megan

Megan Senior Member

Australia
    I was told there will be a press release after the conference but haven't heard anything yet.

7. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
  8. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Great part of it all now - thanks Cort.

9. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    So this is the Ozzie version of the WPI - brilliant!

Really encouraging - thanks for posting.

10. Cort

Well put!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

11. Cort

That is quite a long study - which I would think is a good thing. Little labs can do great things - we know that from the WPI....

See more popular forum discussions.