The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Australian GST for Online purchases

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by ahmo, Jul 27, 2015.

1. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    This might be hopelessly naive...I'm wondering if we have any ability to lobby against proposed online charges of GST. The exchange rate has plunged, it's likely GST will increase, and now proposals are to have it applied to any online purchases over $40. My concern is about ordering supplements. There are many things I get on iherb that are just not available in Aus. Others where the price, even with terrible exchange rate, is so much better that I'm pushed to order from US. I've spent hours looking for comparable things in Aus, and have been successful in only a few instances.

Is there any way, anyone, we can lobby for exceptions to the probable legislation? Hard to imagine, since our illness is unrecognized, supplements are considered suspicious, or worse, compared to pharma.

AndyPandy likes this.
  2. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    Here are a few suggestions for lobbying:

Emerge
    The Federal Treasurer and the opposition shadow minister
    The Federal Finance Minister and the opposition shadow minister
    The Federal Health Minister and the opposition shadow minister
    Your local Federal MP
    A petition on change.org

ahmo likes this.
  3. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    That sounds like a nightmare for administration. Will the Australian government actually expect foreign companies to collect and pay them the GST? How do they plan to enforce that?

4. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Don't know. I do know that iherb has a very close Aus relationship, offering AusPost for shipping, Aus$ in calculating totals.

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    In the UK its done through the post office I think. You have to pay the tax to get your parcel.

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think its more likely they will put an impost on the banks to put the tax on our credit cards. Then the banks will charge us more to cover their own costs.

Of course such charges are anti-free trade. So which is it to be, protectionism or free trade? The companies selling the goods already have taxes in the country of origin. So you get taxed twice.

The real issue is that many companies here just cannot compete as they charge too much, or they do not have adequate web sites. Many of the web sites of our big retail companies suck.

This seems to be about protecting excessive profit in failing business. Or protectionism.

Sea and ahmo like this.

See more popular forum discussions.