• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Australian discovery on B Cells and Autoimmunity

alex3619

Alex, cheers, Lynne. (After I put in the url I can't seem to go back to normal type so I'm saying goodbye before I begin!)

I was in the middle of a post to you on your other thread where you summarise the findings very clearly, for instance, by explaining what a germinal centre is. Can you bring that over to this thread for others like me? I was saying the Garvan Institute seems to be good value for money because of their other research on things like osteoporosis, which I have, but when I googled the Institute for their website url I lost that thread altogether. Anyway, it's www.garvan.org.au/ .

Hi Lynne, I am trying to figure out which other thread. I do have over 3000 posts. If you have a specific question maybe I can answer it again. Bye, Alex

natasa778

I think this shows that adjuvants can cause increased clonal expansion of B and T cells - in other words, we make more of them. In the case of autoimmunity this is not a cause, but might make it more severe.

Thanks! Sorry I meant do these new findings by Garvan team link in to lymphoid hyperplasias and lymphomas we see?

Re vaccines, would live attenuated ones carry a larger risk of autoimmune reactions in this scenario? (esp if immune system 'a bit' dysfunctional to start with?)

alex3619

Hi natasa778, first about attenuated vaccines. This is only a guess, but I think the risk would indeed be higher. This is because there is an increased range of possible epitopes in an attentuated vaccine as opposed to one based on viral fragments.

I do not think the Garvan findings directly link to hyperplasias and lymphomas. I think this is a different problem, even though it involves similar cells. I would need to know more about specific types of lymphomas than I do to say much more. What I can say is that some things trigger clonal expansion of B and T cells (and others) and I have two blogs planned for next year that relate to part of this, one on lipopolysacharide, and the other on gamma delta T cells. Gamma delta T cells are pro-healing cells that can increase or decrease the immune response in a region, depending on the nature of what the triggers are. I think they are probably severely disturbed in ME.

Bye, Alex

Lynne B

Sorry, Alex, I was clearly in a state of severe confusion yesterday, very stressed about learning computer systems new to me. I thought your explanation on germinal centres was very clear. It actually appears in this thread.

thanks, Lynne

Hip

On reading the results of Chan, Brink et al, one thought that occurred to me is this:

Lymph nodes are generally swollen in ME/CFS (lymphadenopathy is the technical term for swollen lymph nodes).

Could lymph node swelling to some extent block the lymph node's access to the "outside world", ie, to the rest of the body, effectively making the germinal centers within the lymph nodes more distant from the target self-antigens of the autoantibodies?

If so, the swollen lymph nodes of ME/CFS may be, in part, causing the autoimmunity and autoantibodies of ME/CFS.

Thus some form of lymph node treatment that addresses the swelling (and the supposed blocked of state of the lymph node) may be helpful for ME/CFS.

This also ties in with Raymond Perrin's view that lymphatic congestion and dysfunction is a causal factor in ME/CFS. The idea could be that lymphatic congestion blocks a lymph node's access to the rest of the body.

And I wonder what would happen if you injected minute quantities of your body's own target self-antigens into your lymph nodes? Would that instantly switch off the autoimmunity and autoantibody production?

Two known self-antigens in ME/CFS are cardiolipin antibodies 1 (cardiolipin is found on the inner mitochondrial membranes), and muscarinic receptor antibodies 1 (these muscarinic receptors are found on the postganglionic sections of the parasympathetic nervous system). In both cases, these self-antigens are ubiquitous, and found all over the body, so they would not be very physically distant from the germinal centers within the lymph nodes.