May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Australia: trial of professional education to improve CFS management

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Kati, May 13, 2017.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

(Not a recommendation)

Randomised controlled trial of online continuing education for health professionals to improve the management of chronic fatigue syndrome: a study protocol

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/5/e014133

Li SH1,2, Sandler CX1,3, Casson SM1, Cassar J1,3, Bogg T1, Lloyd AR3, Barry BK1,4,5.
    Author information
    1)School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
    2)School of Psychology, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
    3)The Kirby Institute, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
    4)Neuroscience Research Australia, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
    5)School of Clinical Medicine, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.

Abstract
    INTRODUCTION:

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a serious and debilitating illness that affects between 0.2%-2.6% of the world's population. Although there is level 1 evidence of the benefit of cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET) for some people with CFS, uptake of these interventions is low or at best untimely. This can be partly attributed to poor clinician awareness and knowledge of CFS and related CBT and GET interventions. This trial aims to evaluate the effect of participation in an online education programme, compared with a wait-list control group, on allied health professionals' knowledge about evidence-based CFS interventions and their levels of confidence to engage in the dissemination of these interventions.

METHODS AND ANALYSIS:

A randomised controlled trial consisting of 180 consenting allied health professionals will be conducted. Participants will be randomised into an intervention group (n=90) that will receive access to the online education programme, or a wait-list control group (n=90). The primary outcomes will be: 1) knowledge and clinical reasoning skills regarding CFS and its management, measured at baseline, postintervention and follow-up, and 2) self-reported confidence in knowledge and clinical reasoning skills related to CFS. Secondary outcomes include retention of knowledge and satisfaction with the online education programme. The influence of the education programme on clinical practice behaviour, and self-reported success in the management of people with CFS, will also be assessed in a cohort study design with participants from the intervention and control groups combined.

ETHICS AND DISSEMINATION:

The study protocol has been approved by the Human Research Ethics Committee at The University of New South Wales (approval number HC16419). Results will be disseminated via peer-reviewed journal articles and presentations at scientific conferences and meetings.

TRIAL REGISTRATION:
    ACTRN12616000296437.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks. Think you missed the link: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/5/e014133

Once again relying on Cochrane to avoid addressing the real problems with the research that claims to show CBT and GET are effective treatments.

A mention of the PACE controversy, but only referencing the Smith blog:

15. Smith R . Secondary Richard Smith: QMUL and King’s college should release data from the PACE trial. http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2015/12/16...lege-should-release-data-from-the-pace-trial/ (accessed Dec 2016).

3. Kati

Kati Patient in training

The link. Yes. Thank you, I will add it to my original post.

Esther12 likes this.
  4. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    They are actually going to waste money studying whether or not the BPS Brigade can sell rubbish to physicians? I think I can save them a bit of time:

5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    One thing is clear.

The trial is never at fault.

The patient is.

But if you can't make that stick then blame the health care provider for being incompetent.

Problem solved.

Or not.

6. Mohawk1995

Mohawk1995 Senior Member

As in most education models, the motivation of the person to actually learn is the biggest indicator of success. As Confucius said "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear".

Not a bad thing to educate health professionals, but it is not the Allied Health Professionals who need this the most, it is the Primary Health Care Providers (MD, DO, PA, NP, Psychiatrists and Psychologists) who need it most!

Also online education is not the best tool to educate unless in this case you have it include a link to Jenn Brea's TED talk or a way to view her documentary. Online ed really lacks personal touch.

7. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    "level 1 evidence" ... :p

"... of the benefit ... for some people with CFS" ... conveniently ignoring the harm to others, and no way of distinguishing between them!

8. Kati

Kati Patient in training

I agree that primary health provider needs the most education, however i have great concerns about this study, notably about the curriculum. I highly suspect they will promote CBT and GET and omit the current science.

JayS, dangermouse, Solstice and 4 others like this.
  9. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Do the educators have the education?

Aroa, Aurator, ballard and 4 others like this.
  10. Mohawk1995

Mohawk1995 Senior Member

Agree completely. Depends on their agenda. That is why I think it more important for the learner to truly be motivated (not to be told what is "fact" by those with their agenda). If someone truly wants to learn about ME they would most likely come across all of the literature and would be able to discern the "chaff from the wheat". This should be especially true for a health care "professional" who would be expected to be able to critically review the literature. BUT critical thinking seems to be lacking from much of medicine these days.

11. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Valentijn, Kati and Esther12 like this.
  12. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Education would be nice. But this protocol seems to be describing the dissemination of misinformation which is very harmful to patients. No one needs that.

13. Lolo

Lolo Senior Member

AUS
    Phoenix Rising would be a good place to get an education on CFS.

ballard likes this.
  14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Geigerenzer has repeatedly shown that in the USA at least, I want to emphasize "at least", 80% of doctors in the USA lack sufficient skills to engage in effective critical thinking on scientific studies.

Mohawk1995, Kati and dangermouse like this.

See more popular forum discussions.