• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Australia - Scott Ludlam (Greens deputy leader) has resigned

lafarfelue

Scott Ludlam just resigned from the Australian senate.

I feel like this is a pretty big blow to increasing recognition and funding for ME/CFS research, as he was one of our (only?) big political champions for it here. :(

It's only happened a short while ago, so I'm still trying to process it and what it might mean for ME/CFS in Australia. I know there are researchers on the job, doing the hard yards in the research of ME/CFS... I just really feel saddened that there'll be no one pushing for us in the senate anymore. :cry:

(I wasn't quite sure where to put this on the forums, but I thought that this was important to share.)

Can't believe dual citizenship would bar your from being an active politician in either country.

I suppose technically, it doesn't. But politically, its maybe a hot potato?

Anyway, sorry to hear it, Aussies. Hopefully, the work he's done will still count for something - in raising awareness of MECFS more generally.

Hilary

Very sorry to hear this as he certainly seemed to be one of the good guys and a very tenacious one at that. Maybe he's going to go global like David Tuller??