Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Attention network test: Assessment of cognitive function in CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I hate 'liking' stuff which is bad!

Firestormm and Valentijn like this.
  3. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

I'ts nice to see a Neuropsych assessment study, I hope to see more of these popping up.:rolleyes:

4. Bob

Bob

South of England
    This study doesn't strike me as particularly bad. Actually, I think the abstract is quite good/helpful. What have I missed?

The results (speed of processing issues) seem to fit with this meta-analysis:

Psychol Med. 2010 Aug;40(8):1253-67. doi: 10.1017/S0033291709992054. Epub 2010 Jan 5.
    Cognitive functioning in chronic fatigue syndrome: a meta-analysis.
    Cockshell SJ, Mathias JL.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20047703

"Conclusions Persons with CFS demonstrate moderate to large impairments in simple and complex information processing speed and in tasks requiring working memory over a sustained period of time."

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I just meant that I really dislike being able to think less quickly than I could. Not a comment on the study.

Valentijn and Bob like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I read the full text of this. It didn't say anything I would object to. Results seem reasonable enough.

Occasionally the odd psych suggests motivation made partly or fully explain poor results*. These authors didn't think this was relevant here:
    *often this is at the level of the individual but they don't seem to have done any calculations to check at an individual level i.e. one/two/x might show poor motivation without everyone doing so.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Esther12 and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.