1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Attention network test: Assessment of cognitive function in CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I hate 'liking' stuff which is bad!

Firestormm and Valentijn like this.
  3. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    I'ts nice to see a Neuropsych assessment study, I hope to see more of these popping up.:rolleyes:

4. Bob

Bob

South of England
    This study doesn't strike me as particularly bad. Actually, I think the abstract is quite good/helpful. What have I missed?

The results (speed of processing issues) seem to fit with this meta-analysis:

Psychol Med. 2010 Aug;40(8):1253-67. doi: 10.1017/S0033291709992054. Epub 2010 Jan 5.
    Cognitive functioning in chronic fatigue syndrome: a meta-analysis.
    Cockshell SJ, Mathias JL.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20047703

"Conclusions Persons with CFS demonstrate moderate to large impairments in simple and complex information processing speed and in tasks requiring working memory over a sustained period of time."

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I just meant that I really dislike being able to think less quickly than I could. Not a comment on the study.

Valentijn and Bob like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I read the full text of this. It didn't say anything I would object to. Results seem reasonable enough.

Occasionally the odd psych suggests motivation made partly or fully explain poor results*. These authors didn't think this was relevant here:
    *often this is at the level of the individual but they don't seem to have done any calculations to check at an individual level i.e. one/two/x might show poor motivation without everyone doing so.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Esther12 and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.