The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Attack on Lipkin/Hornig and Fluge in a medical magazine

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by deleder2k, Mar 11, 2015.

1. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

The Swedish pediatric doctor Mads Reimer has published this in the Norwegian medical Magazine Dagens Medisin - literally "Today's Medicine":

Translation conducted by Google and myself.

Originally posted here: Eksperimentelle tester og behandlinger for CFS/ME

What is your take on this @Jonathan Edwards? Am I right to classify this as some sort of Immunobabbling? :)

A wise friend of mine, @DanME, points out that:

- Lipkin is one of the most famous immunologist on the planet and his group probably knows, how to handle data properly...
    - There are a lot more studies, showing abnormalities. Like 2DayCPET, abnormalities in NK cell function, abnormalities in the brain etc.
    - Haukeland didn't only conduct only one study with RTX, but four. A pilot, two phase II and one phase III. There have a lot of experience and wouldn't go on, if they didn't see any benefit or serious side effects.

I can comment on the article, but the best would be to write an article back. If someone wants to respond and knows immunology in some way or are a doctor professor I could help translating it to Norwegian. Fluge usually don't engage in these debates, and it would be good if someone could write back. Mads Reimer has written a lot of critical articles over the years where he supports CBT, GET. Some would say he is the definition of a "psychobabbler".

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Dr Speedy, Marky90, beaker and 6 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Seems like a poorly informed person picking out parts that support his prejudices.

The Lipkin study has nothing to do with what Fluge and Mella are doing, other than confirming that there are immune system abnormalities. As for the accusation of fishing for correlations, that is in principle justified, but in this case, it seems rather unlikely that 24 out of 51 cytokines would follow a certain pattern merely be chance. The p value of the INF-gamma finding was extremely good.

The idea that it's problematic that some of the authors are already treating CFS patients with drugs is a matter of opinion.

The author ignores the previous results and observations concerning the use of Rituximab in CFS patients. Perhaps because that would make things appear less dramatic and irresponsible, or perhaps he's simply unaware. Neither is good journalism.

Marky90, beaker, NK17 and 9 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    An overly simplistic argument. I don't know if there is much point in responding, quite aside from a potential language gap. It also makes some basic blunders. I might list them tomorrow as I am already past my bedtime.

Helen, merylg and deleder2k like this.
  4. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

The first thing that hit me about RTX is that they have had several patients responding from immunosuppressive drugs. MTX, Cyclo, RTX. With the unpublished phase 2 study they have probably been involved with around 40 patients that have tried either of them. When the ethical committee approved their latest cyclo study I guess they knew that the results from the open phase 2 were positive.

Why wouldn't it be OK to try out Cyclo in a cancer department at a hospital when two patients first said they got better during cancer chemo for breast cancer, and then 3 more in a pilot study? In addition we have two RTX studies, and MTX that was used on a few patients.

Dr Speedy, NK17, jeff_w and 2 others like this.
  5. Helen

Helen Senior Member

A well respected doctor friend said to me "Who cares about M...s R.....s opinion" when he once earlier attacked ME/CFS. I wouldn´t care about this article either, as his job as a columnist is to provoke people. Very few doctors comment on his articles. I wouldn´t spend any more time on this.

NK17 likes this.
  6. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

This essay reads like a high school child's idea of science. It's not how things happen in practice.

A perfectly reasonable approach for an exploratory, hypothesis-generating study which isn't trying to make any definitive statements, it's just setting the stage for future hypothesis-driven replications.

7. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I pretty much stopped reading after this. It seems strange that a medical journal prints an article by an author who admits he is ignorant of the topic.

8. waiting

waiting Senior Member

In the 1st paragraph, he says there is NO EVIDENCE there is anything wrong with patients' immune systems.

In the last paragraph, he says there IS EVIDENCE there is something wrong with patients' immune systems.

???

Dr Speedy and Antares in NYC like this.
  9. adreno

adreno PR activist

Right.

cfsStevew, moosie, Marky90 and 8 others like this.
  10. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Sorry. My bad. I have corrected it now. He says two times that we have no proof of immune abnormalities.

Dr Speedy and Valentijn like this.
  11. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Exactly! It's the perfectly right thing to do.

But I also can't help thinking how good it would be if they released their data and let the world at large look for patterns, amateurs included. I am reminded that amateur astronomers found many comets, including the famous Shoemaker-Levy that crashed into Jupiter. It can help to have a lot of eyes looking for things.

rosie26 likes this.
  12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    In some diseases, it was the treatment that gave hints as to the underlying pathology, rather than the other way around. This seems to be a fact this doctor seems to have forgotten.

If these drugs demonstrate continued efficacy, then it gives a big "pay attention" message to the scientific community in general.

This guy isn't a scientist, so that probably explains why he doesn't seem to understand where scientific insights come from.

Valentijn, ukxmrv, NK17 and 9 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I feel sorry for this paediatrician that his potty training should have left him with such an anal view of the world.

Discovering drugs through chance observations in unrelated situations is probably more common than trying them because you have a good reason.

I guess he has to be a paediatrician since adult patients are not going to go and see someone with such a negative and ill-inofrmed attitude to their disease.

paolo, Beagle, Dr Speedy and 30 others like this.
  14. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

I agree. Do you think one shouldn't reply to this "babble" at all? I feel like this s### should be answered. He writes technical so that is hard for those with non-medical expertise to answer. Fluge doesn't engage in public debate. At least he hasnt for a while so I guess he won't write back.

Antares in NYC likes this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I would leave him in his hole.

paolo, Dr Speedy, Marky90 and 4 others like this.
  16. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

The problem is that many will believe in this crap if no one responds to it... Maybe I at least should comment under his article. He actually responds to comments on the article he writes, so that can be interesting.

Valentijn likes this.
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

He wrote stuff about anti-psychiatry patients vs PACE too. It is what it is.

18. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

At least the Rituximab study is out in afew weeks/months now. But, I am guessing he will object to that too :)

catly likes this.
  19. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I honestly wouldn't give him the oxygen of publicity. If the editor see he's getting a reaction they'll give him more airtime. Just ignore him. Sooner or later the research will run him over like a steamroller.

Valentijn, beaker, TigerLilea and 9 others like this.
  20. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Sounds wise. Some label this man as D.U.M.B, Doctor with Unexplained Medical Belief (D.U.M.B.)

Dr Speedy, moosie, Iquitos and 15 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.