• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Atlas subluxation - Link to illness?

Hi all,

Another avenue I almost pursued in my desperation was related to the Atlas vertebrae.

I don't fully understand the 'science' behind the theory but it relates to nerves and blood vessels being blocked by the Atlas being subluxed.

I actually made an appointment with an Atlas Profilax practitioner here in the UK but after reading some of the claims and the origin of the theory of the treatment (I'll let you read up on it yourself if interested) I decided it was not safe and I didn't trust the practitioners enough to follow through.

However, I saw a clip of Dr Patrick Kerr on an old Montel Williams chat show, and whilst I would never advocate believing anything on TV especially of that ilk it interested me especially as Montel says he suffered with terrible MS which Dr. Kerr 'cured'. (clip available on youtube)

I got in contact with Dr Kerr in New York and he uses a similar process to the Profilax to align the Atlas with a machine that pulses through your neck. The theory being once it is aligned the body can heal itself and rid itself of viruses it couldn't remove before.....nonsense? Quite possibly......But in these desperate times I was curious about your thoughts?

There are many similar practitioners that say similar things with varying treatments and to be fair I feel the pain aspect of their claims holds some credibility.

I called Dr Kerr's office and whilst there are no claims or related articles on ME/CFS on his website, I was told they often deal with these symptoms and many ear/vestibular/vertigo/tinnitus issues that I have.

I am not about to fly all the way out there purely for this but maybe if I'm over that way for any reason in the future or find someone similar in the future I may attempt it? (or wise up and stay the heck away....)

Any thoughts?

http://doctorkerr.net/

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
This is real nonsense, Gecko. If your atlas is subluxed you are very likely to be not only paralysed in all four limbs but also stop breathing. And if you want any treatment get an expert neurosurgeon straight away. It is a bit like saying you are feeling low because you left your head on the pillow this morning - sort of like the Greene Knight in the Gawain story.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just put a post up on my experience prior to this regarding a chiro/osteo with similar claims that has made me worse. I'm now looking for someone just to sort out my new found back and neck pains!!

Wayne

I'm now looking for someone just to sort out my new found back and neck pains!!

Hi @Gecko, sorry to hear about those new kinds of pains--how discouraging that must be. Did this practitioner caution you on possibly experiencing these new symptoms, perhaps as part of a "retracing"?

I've spent a great deal of time researchng atlas issues, and have done the atlas profilax treatment, which I found to be highly beneficial. My latest approach is trying a therapy called Koren Specific Technique. I'm encouraged by what I'm experiencing, some of it having to to with some gentle atlas realignments. I started a bit of a diary on my experiences AT THIS LINK.

Good luck in getting this sorted out for yourself.

Best, Wayne