Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Aterations/loss of certain tastes?

Discussion in 'Neurological/Neuro-sensory' started by Snow Leopard, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Hi,

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has experienced alterations or loss of ability to taste specific tastes (certain fats?) due to illness.

Webdog likes this.
  2. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    Yes, less flavor all around. I know it is tied to smell as I seem hyper-sensitive to some smells that seem noxious and overwhelming, while others I cannot detect.

PatJ likes this.
  3. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    Also, this state seems transient and related to flares.

4. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Agreed, it seems transient and when I have flare ups I notice it more. Usually it means that some favored flavors loose some of the 'punch' and become more bland...

Snow Leopard and PatJ like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I am curious to know which specific tastes become less strong?

6. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    @Snow Leopard - It's like PennyIA described. There is a lack of complexity of taste, which I believe is smell related. I can still taste sweet/salty/bitter, but flavor is missing. This phenomenon is coupled with loss of smell with contemporaneous noxious smell. For example, last night I had a flare and my husband heated up some chili, there was something in it that I continued to smell for about 3 hours in the house. I sprayed a lavender spray for linens to cover the noxious smell. The lavender scent is normally strong to me, and I couldn't smell it at all. This effect is gone today.

Snow Leopard and Webdog like this.

See more popular forum discussions.