New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Astrocytes Regulate Daily Rhythms in the Suprachiasmatic Nucleus..." [Dysfunction delays sleep.]

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by ZeroGravitas, Mar 25, 2017.

1. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas

UK
    Delayed sleep phase and non-24-hour circadian rhythm have been a major problem in my life since my teenage years, over a decade before recognising my gradual onset CFS/ME symptoms as such...

So this article, posted here on to Reddit really caught my attention, seeing as there has been a lot of interest on this forum (and elsewhere) in microglia inflammation in the CNS (and stopping it from) probably causing our brain fog and other problems. (@Hip seems to have written the most, e.g. "Chronic Microglial Activation in ME/CFS, And Its Possible Treatment Using Microglial Inhibitors", and probably has more recent info.)

I'd assumed these symptoms of mine to be linked, but perhaps assumed something like (microglia mediated) neuro-inflammation in the hypothalamus was knocking out signalling/resetting of the SCN's timing, or it caused permanent damage to the tiny cluster of neurons (somewhat like the wakefulness promoting, orexin secreting neurons being greatly diminished in narcolepsy)... But this work seems to be showing that astro-glia (astrocytes) are required to contribute, themselves, to correct pacemaker rhythms. A more direct connection.

So I'm wondering: if their dysfunction/alteration can directly cause my kind of 25h sleep cycle problems (now up to 26h), and this is a common factor with the cause of my CFS, then why is this rotating sleep/wake cycle not even more common in other pwCFS/ME, in general? I mean, sleep difficulties are super-common, but it's: difficulty getting enough, or deep enough, and napping during the day and being generally messed up, wired and tired, etc, rather than specifically delayed (and too much) like me.

From the article: https://source.wustl.edu/2017/03/clock-stars-astrocytes-keep-daily-time-brain-behavior/
    Paper's Summary: http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(17)30205-1

merylg, MastBCrazy, Hip and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

Seems like a double-whammy as to why glucocorticoids might help

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

Hi Z. I struggle to get my head round the science. My sleep problem is timing I regularly am awake at 3 am and my day only gets going at lunchtime. I take amitriptyline which can help me get to sleep sooner 1am if lucky but isn't that reliable also I think it gives me bad dreams sometimes. I thought this sort of delayed sleep pattern was fairly common.
    N

merylg and MEMum like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I think I've heard quite often of people's cycles being typically longer than 24 hours.

Also, I don't think other species tell us much about humans (having studied them both, mostly the latter on realising that fact).

MEMum and merylg like this.

See more popular forum discussions.