• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Astragalus root reduces autoantibodies to acetylcholine

ramakentesh

Works in M.Gravis and these same autoantibodies have been implicated in NMH and POTS - so I wonder if would work for OI related issues?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8088200

Abstract

With overall analysis of symptoms and signs of myasthenia gravis (MG) basing on "Pi (Spleen) Deficiency" [symbol: see text] theory and with years of our clinical experience in treating MG, we performed a pharmacological study of Astragalus saponins and Buzhong Yiqi Compound (Tonic granulae invigorating vital energy) in 14 peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMNC) cultures from 10 MG patients. PBMNG from two groups of patients given dexamethasone (Dxm) and cobalt 60 (60Co) treatment were used as controls. The results showed that water soluble Astragalus saponins significantly reduced the titer of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor antibodies (nAchR-Ab) in the cell culture supernatants, from 418.8-2328 to nil in 6 cases, and from 1143-1235 to 43-157 fmol/ml in 2 cases, and that Buzhong Yiqi compound also had inhibitory immunoregulatory action.

chilove

I take both astragalus and ashwagandha (both adatptogenic herbs) and I feel I benefit a great deal from taking them. They helped a lot during a recent adrenal crash.

Also... my partner recently purchased an inversion table for back pain.. I think I'll start using it for blood flow to the brain and see if it helps! :)

Audrey

ramakentesh

ive had some great success with a herbal mix that includes astragalus among other things. I have used Rhodiola rosea worked really well for me for about three days at a time. Lactuca virosa also worked ok but can cause stomach upsets. I have used ashwagandha in the past for sleep and for inflammation from another health problem and it worked well.