• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Astounding Norwegian research breakthrough with Rituximab can solve CFS mystery!!!

Boule de feu

In Canada, crazy does not mean that at all. So, I agree that we should be careful about using this term. We don't want negative publicity, for sure.

An idea:
Could each one of us send the news to a local newspaper or radio talk show?
I think this is too important to let it go unnoticed.

SOC

In defense of urbantravels, this thread had a different title when it was created. I don't know who changed it, or why, but the new title has an entirely different tone from the original and is very inappropriate.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
In defense of urbantravels, this thread had a different title when it was created. I don't know who changed it, or why, but the new title has an entirely different tone from the original and is very inappropriate.

Hi SOC - I don't think anyone's having a pop at urban - her reputation on this forum is excellent and I think it's clear the issue over the original title was just one of those lost-in-translation things and someone has tried to do a quick fix on it which has backfired. I only see good intentions all round and a temporary glitch which will soon be fixed. A ripple in the water! :D

If you want to see something on the Norwegian research where translation has added some humour, take a look at this interview with the study authors, which seems to have been through Google Translate or something - what do you make of "very nice done, the dolls are hollow duck good!" :confused:

SOC

Hi SOC - I don't think anyone's having a pop at urban - her reputation on this forum is excellent and I think it's clear the issue over the original title was just one of those lost-in-translation things and someone has tried to do a quick fix on it which has backfired. I only see good intentions all round and a temporary glitch which will soon be fixed. A ripple in the water! :D

If you want to see something on the Norwegian research where translation has added some humour, take a look at this interview with the study authors, which seems to have been through Google Translate or something - what do you make of "very nice done, the dolls are hollow duck good!" :confused:

Thanks, Sasha. I'm still a cognitive mess from a bad couple of weeks and I'm not catching language subtleties like tone, or even detail, lol. Of course we all know urban's fine reputation and don't doubt her intentions. [smacking forehead]

That is, indeed, an amusing translation. Google Translate is even more literal than I am at the moment. ;)

Firestormm

Several UK media are now showing an interest including (from ME Association Facebook page) the BBC. Hopefully, something will be published in the very near future I guess.

Boule de feu

A warning from Health Canada about Rituxan:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/medeff/advisories-avis/public/_2007/rituxan_4_pc-cp-eng.php

I have read somewhere else that death could occur 1 1/2 year after stopping the administration of rituxan (SLE, vasculitis, lupus).

This is going to be a tough one. I wonder how we will be able to get this drug in Canada:
"In Canada, RITUXAN is not authorized for use in the treatment of patients with autoimmune diseases other than rheumatoid arthritis."

Enid

Let's hope so Firestormm - in this stunning advance into underlying mechanisms. (your post 170)

perrier

Hi folks--on the subject of the title:

I have to admit I felt a bit queasy with the word 'crazy' in the title from the start, but I understood that in the US this is a compliment. Here's my humble suggestion: how about we just exchange the word crazy to 'brilliant' or 'astounding' or some such word.

Thanks Boule de Feu for the Canadian link. I know for instance, that many Canadians with Lyme travel to the US, and there is even an eminent physician right close by in New York state who treats Canadians because they cannot get treatments in Canada. I suspect that this may happen in this instance too, at least initially. But we have to write to our MPs and to Mr. Harper too. Things can change.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
how about we just exchange the word crazy to 'brilliant' or 'astounding' or some such word.

Sounds good to me - would be good to get something that urban likes but she doesn't seem to be online at the moment (or any moderators!).

I'll black triangle this post too so that a moderator will see your suggestion and hopefully check with urban if she's online by then.

Enid

Look it's a brilliant piece of research, part of the whole puzzle of understanding the mechanisms in ME (and more) - what I think or anyone thinks (apart from those working to unravel) doesn't figure.

Here's my humble suggestion: how about we just exchange the word crazy to 'brilliant' or 'astounding' or some such word.

Good idea! - as I have seen quotes from this forum being used in British news reports before. You can imagine - "even M.E. patients think that Norway's chemotherapy trials are 'crazy'"

Enid

Quite agree klimt - despite the humour meant - such a word will turn and be used against us.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Just my two cents, I'm in the US and I have never heard crazy used as a compliment. I believe as she said, she meant it as a joke. But unfortunately, because of the world in which we live, I agree we need to take extra care to ensure that we don't use language that could be misinterpreted by the Norwiegen researchers or the public in general. Urban, we know that you didn't mean it this way, thank you for starting the thread. :)

Boule de feu

I have to admit I felt a bit queasy with the word 'crazy' in the title from the start, but I understood that in the US this is a compliment. Here's my humble suggestion: how about we just exchange the word crazy to 'brilliant' or 'astounding' or some such word.

Thanks Boule de Feu for the Canadian link. I know for instance, that many Canadians with Lyme travel to the US, and there is even an eminent physician right close by in New York state who treats Canadians because they cannot get treatments in Canada. I suspect that this may happen in this instance too, at least initially. But we have to write to our MPs and to Mr. Harper too. Things can change.

I hope you are right. :)

perrier

http://www.research1st.com/2011/10/19/rituximab-trial/

The above is a good clear concise piece outlining what these brilliant and committed physicians did. Also, there is a nice photo of a Norwegian lass who became ill at 16 and whose problems have been resolved--she was part of the study.

PS. Thanks Special K for clarifying that 'crazy' is not a compliment. I understood it the word to sometimes be used to suggest something is outside of the norm, and really worth looking at. But I thank those of you who support my suggestions for changing the term in the header here.

Best regards, Helene

Enid

I've very young neices who's exhuberance comes out as "wicked" when meaning very nice. But here we are in a world of those wishing to trip us - please can we drop crazy.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
That's good that the story is starting to show up.

On the New Scientist report, they now state that they've removed the pejorative term "yuppie flu", which I'm pleased to see.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I feel bad that I seem to have started a massive discussion about "crazy" and that poor urban is going to return to the forum and be unhappy! I created my post this morning in relation to the edited title, expecting it to be fixed within the hour and to be able to delete my post, and instead the title has sat there all today and my post has generated a lot of comment. I'm so sorry, urban! I have PM'ed you.

Can I suggest that we just stop discussing the "crazy" issue and get back to the research? I'm sure this title issue will be sorted very quickly once a moderator comes on line. Thanks!