1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Asthma, who else has it?

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by xks201, Oct 18, 2012.

1. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Just curious.

2. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Diagnosed with exercise induced Asthma at 6. Never had attacks though - but have had bronchitis and lung infections regularly between that age and now (43) Now dealing with pulmonary fibrosis and my consultant thinks i dont have asthma after all - he offered to test for this with an exercise stress test - which i am not well enough, M.E wise to perform.

(What a surprise, nothing straightforward here!)
    All the best, Justy.

3. silicon

silicon Senior Member

I do, since childhood, well before ME/CFS. It was brought on by allergies and sometimes aerobic exercise/sports. I do regret being on anti-asthma stimulants for many years, back in the day.

justy likes this.
  4. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    If ME/CFS is indeed what I think it is (MCAS), then asthma/shortness of breath almost follows logically.

5. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    I was an asthmatic as a child. Up until my teens.

Started taking deprenyl and got a reccurence of asthma which i havent had in ages. Maybe a temporary issue, but have ceased taking it anyway.

6. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    Nah, i'm back on it. Asthma symptoms have resolved. Yip

7. Stretched

Stretched

Yes, shortly after definitively having 'something' causing chest pain and congestion, i.e. before CFS identified,
    I used spray Ventolin, some preventative powder spray(?), and Theophyillin for ~ 2 years. I took these along with a lot of Entrex (guaifenasin) under the theory (by Endocrinologist) this would break up the mucosal congestion and the sprays would dialate the Aveoli so I'd get back to 'normal' and be without chest pain, sic around the rib cage.

'Normal' didn't come and my CFS paralleled press reports, and I had been to Incline Village. So I dropped the Asthma protocol (to keep rx's at a reduced level) and used Medrol packs (prednisone) ~ 3-4 times a year along with
    other meds for symptoms.

FWIW, the pred treatment helped the most in my not worrying about Asthma. This was 25 years ago and I'm considering revisiting this protocol even if it's only palliative. For me chest pains around the rib cage and back have returned as one of the most identifying 'flare' features of my ME, which waxes and wanes; and I mean the pain can really be limiting.

I hope this bit of shared history helps along the lines you were exploring.

See more popular forum discussions.