• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

asthma and dysautonomia

I had a sudden onset of dysautonomia symptoms during my menstrual cycle this week and noticed that in addition to the "air hunger" feeling after standing longer than my body could tolerate, I experienced hoarseness and an asthmatic cough. I'm still having those symptoms this morning after a nice, long night's sleep.

I'm assuming this is due to a general lack of oxygen.

Do others have asthma and hoarseness due to too much standing?

LaurelW

I get asthma-like symptoms when my CFS is worse, including my OI. My doc says I have reactive airway, which pretty much goes along with CFS. So it wouldn't surprise me at all.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I get breathing problems if I don't get to rest frequently in a chair that supports my upper back. I have a positive methacholine challenge for asthma, but I generally cough rather than wheeze.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Have you had a chlamydia pneumonia test?
I have found out after years, that it is the cause of my chronic voice-losing and also what was misdiagnosed for years as asthma. It also worsens OI. When it gets particularly bad it also gives me a burning, sore feeling down my windpipe when I inhale.
I have been having antibody levels monitored regularly for the last 6 months (under antibiotic treatment) and the severity of these symptoms corresponds with the level of antibodies. I took antibiotics for 3 months then stopped for 2 so we could find out if the infection had gone - unfortunately it hadn't. However, I had amazing improvement in my OI and POTS and chronic low BP. I am back on antibiotics now and the doctor has promised to keep me on them until it has definitely gone.
Being totally OI free for those months felt truly miraculous.

I'm not familiar with reactive airway dysfunction; although it sounds like I may have it. I'll have to do some reading about that. Thanks!

No, I haven't been tested for chlamydia pheumonia. When I see my doctor next, I'll ask him about it. Thanks so much Athene, Willow and Laurel!

My dysautonomia symptoms have quieted down some and I've been sitting a lot the past few days so I haven't had anymore significant asthma symptoms.

My airway feels tight a lot though. I'll be following up with my doctor about that, too, to see if it's anything I need treat. Peace, Bayly