• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Astaxanthin - is it safe?

Tiger Lily 813

I've been taking Astaxanthin in the hopes of lowering oxidative stress, and, it really helps me with severe pms that I'd been having.
Some people have mentioned that it can lower blood pressure. It does for me too, but really only slightly (so I take it later in the day). It might make my hair and skin a bit drier, which isn't great. But other than these very minor issues, I tolerate it well and I want to keep taking it.
However, I read some scary things when researching it on other websites, so I wanted to ask about the safety here, to see if any of the scary things have any validity...
Very much appreciate your thoughts!
Thanks!!

ebethc

My body loves astaxanthin, but I've read the same things and also, I feel a little woozy if I take it too much, so I take it intermittently..

It's a derivative of vitamin a, which is fat soluble & therefore can build up in your body